Recent changes bring new questions

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Recent changes bring new questions

Post by michigan girls »

Suddenly it seems our group of 2 has grown to a group of 3, and quite likely even 4. My friend Mayra booked her tickets this morning. She is flying United, rather than AA with us. Her return flight leaves at 8:33 AM. I told her I'm really concerned about this, but she says it's her only option and will be fine. Any chance of her making this flight? Maybe if she hires Rachel instead of the shared taxi and gets a porter at the airport? It is a Tuesday flight, so shouldn't be horribly crowded I think? Suggestions?

Also, we are staying at Giovanna's Giardino. Perfect size for the 2 of us, but I know it will be a bit tighter with 4. I'm not concerned about that so much, because we spend very little time at the villa anyway. My concern is parking, as we will now have 2 jeeps. Has anyone stayed there and know if there is room to park two vehicles?

I am excited to show 2 of my friends my happy place for the first time though :-)

Unlike the last time we did a group trip, I'm pretty confident that these 2 ladies will fit in perfectly with Sherry and I and that they will both "get it"
david@va.beach

Re: Recent changes bring new questions

Post by david@va.beach »

Your friend has made a big mistake..that said,this person has 2 choices
1.get a room near the airport the day before (that' still a pain!)
2.pay whatever th charge is for getting an afternoon filght..I'd go this route..
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

david@va.beach wrote:Your friend has made a big mistake..that said,this person has 2 choices
1.get a room near the airport the day before (that' still a pain!)
2.pay whatever th charge is for getting an afternoon filght..I'd go this route..
they can take the 6am ferry over the morning of trip back
RickG

Post by RickG »

The 6AM people ferry will get you to the airport in time for a 8:30AM flight, but no room for error. I'd do carryon only, print the boarding pass the day before and have the customs & immigration form done the night before.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

We stayed at Giovanna's Giardino last March. Parking at this cottage is extremely challenging. You are sharing a very small parking area with another cottage that is directly above you. The cottage is very cute but it will be very tight with 4 people. There is only 1 bedroom which is located on the lower level and the 2nd sleeping area is a pull out sofa in a very small living room. The view is spectacular and we had resident goats for the 1st 3 days. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Cindy
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I knew it would be tight, but I'm not worried about that. I am a little worried about parking. So would you say it's even possible to park 2 cars there?

And thanks Rick, that's good advice :-)
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

Two jeeps will fit, I don't think three. So if the other cottage is occupied, it would be very difficult. I think the only way 3 jeeps would fit would be to park one in the actual driveway which is a steep slope. If one of the other jeeps needs to get out, you would then have to move the one in the driveway.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I have done the 8:30 flight in the past and despite the ferry being late and then one engine failing as we approached Red Hook, I still made it to the airport fine in a regular van taxi!

I wouldn't worry too much about the flight, it's just no fun to have to leave so early!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

maybe I was overeacting to some of you but I really don't like rushing around on vacation on my favorite island.IMO.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I agree David, I hate rushing too. Our flight leaves in the afternoon. But it's good to hear it looks like she can make it.

And I know the house will be pretty full with the 4 of us, but it can't be helped now so we'll make it work. We really don't spend much time there anyway. And it's worth it to me to have my friends be able to join us. Parking is a little concerning, here's hoping there's no car for the other place.

One more question though: This house is not on the villa map. I've been looking at the aerial view and trying to figure out which one it is without much success. Can you tell me which house it is on Calabash Boom? *Edited* I just got off the phone with the villa owner and now I know which one it is on the map, so nevermind that part :-) She did say we would have to park one car in the driveway but assures me that there will at least be enough room so we don't inconvenience the people staying in the other home, so that's good.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Wow, in Calabash Boom too!! And to catch the 6AM ferry, I might stay in Cruz Bay the night before maybe at St. John Inn or Cruz Bay Boutique hotel!!! Just a suggestion!! :D