45 min layover to short??

Travel discussion for St. John
star2515

45 min layover to short??

Post by star2515 »

My DH and I (along with parents and in-laws) have our 4th trip to wonderful STJ scheduled for the Spring. We've already got flights and a villa, but recently AA re-did the flights so our layover between RDU-MIA then MIA-STT shrank from 1 1/2 to 45 mins. I normally don't like booking flights with less than an hour layover since that is just inviting trouble to start a trip. However, AA did this to me so I am wondering if I should 1. Keep it and pray (which I am going with right now) 2. keep it but spring for the extra 45 $$ a seat to be up front for quick evac or 3. Change the second flight to later in the day (which isn't optimal as my inlaw are on the same second flight but they are coming out of CLT)??

The RDU-MIA flight is first thing 6.55 am and has a 98% on time rating over the last 60 days.
northerngal

Re: 45 min layover to short??

Post by northerngal »

WE had the same thing happen to us for this coming Monday! I called the airline and they assured us that it would work......I'll let you know how it goes!
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

We've done this a couple of times flying out of Houston, and plan to the same again in June. The only problem we ever had was arriving EARLY in MIA. That time we got moved to a gate on the opposite end if the terminal and then sat on the Tarmac waiting to get off. If this happens be prepared to run upstairs and grab the tram. Last year we deplaned only 2 gates away from our departure gate. Just be flexible. I will usually check a bag on short layovers because they will hold the flight for you once the luggage is on board for TSA reasons. Good luck, arriving early on STT Is worth it.
KT
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

The answer is you may make it. In '12 we had a 40 minute connection in MIA and our gates were literally next to each other - we made it with no problem. In '13 we were delayed for de-icing, and our 40 minute connection became more like 25 minutes, and our gates were on opposite ends of the airport. Well, we got to the gate and they wouldn't let us board (even though the jetway was still connected to the plane.) Luckily, there was another flight that left 2 hours later with availability. I'd keep the reservation you have, and hope that the stars align. And if you don't make it, at least check out your options to catch a later flight.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Thanks, I'll ride it out and hope everything falls into place. At least we aren't in a puddle jumper, MIA always gates those planes in BFE!! Hoping for close gates.

northerngal: Hope you have a great time, safe travels on Monday. Let us know how it turns out.

KTinTX: interesting about the bags.....I thought it would be the opposite, you'd want to carry on because with such a short layover check'ed bags might not make the next flight.

Lovermont: I'm crossing my fingers that no de-icing needed in NC during the end of April!! My luck it will snow!!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I've done the Miami 45 minute layover a couple times now, never any problem - even when we've had gates a good ways away.

I have the opposite problem - AA just switched my layover from 45 minutes to 2 hours and 45 minutes :x
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I normally don't book flights with less than an hour layover, but since they changed it, I would probably keep it. Best case is you, your travelmates and all the luggage makes it. Worst case #1, you have to take a later flight. Worst case #2 (happened to us), we made the flight (despite the short layover), but our bags didn't come with us. We waited at the STT airport until they came on the next flight several hours later. Worst case #3 - we had a several hour layover in CLT, but our checked bag went to Tucson instead of STT. USAir arranged for someone to bring it to us on STJ when it arrived in STT the next day.