New snorkel gear for next STJ trip ?

Travel discussion for St. John
star2515

New snorkel gear for next STJ trip ?

Post by star2515 »

My DH and I will be headed back to STJ for our 4th trip in April and my DH needs some new snorkel gear. We now know we love to snorkel and would spring for some better gear, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? We don't need top of the line, but better than the starter cheap stuff we have now. What brands are good mid-level gear??
UF Prof

Re: New snorkel gear for next STJ trip ?

Post by UF Prof »

Tusa makes several nice masks and snorkels that seem to hold up well. Mine is 5-6 years old, provides good visibility, very flexible, does not leak and does not show any deterioration and fits comfortably. Tusa also make fins too.
Its been a hell of a ride, destination still unknown!
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Most of my gear is Mares, and as a Dive Instructor, I can attest to their solid construction and ease of use. Tusa also makes good quality. DO NOT BUY a prepackaged set of fins/mask. The mask is the most important piece of equipment a snorkeler/diver can purchase. Make sure it fits well and you are comfortable with it. Fins should not be tight, and I suggest you err on the loose side. You can always buy a pair of this socks to wear with them. Too tight fins will make your feet & legs cramp. I also suggest you go to a dive shop and try both.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

equineannie wrote:Most of my gear is Mares, and as a Dive Instructor, I can attest to their solid construction and ease of use. Tusa also makes good quality. DO NOT BUY a prepackaged set of fins/mask. The mask is the most important piece of equipment a snorkeler/diver can purchase. Make sure it fits well and you are comfortable with it. Fins should not be tight, and I suggest you err on the loose side. You can always buy a pair of this socks to wear with them. Too tight fins will make your feet & legs cramp. I also suggest you go to a dive shop and try both.
+1
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

UF Prof wrote:Tusa makes several nice masks and snorkels that seem to hold up well. Mine is 5-6 years old, provides good visibility, very flexible, does not leak and does not show any deterioration and fits comfortably. Tusa also make fins too.
We purchased a Tusa mask and snorkel for our son at Low Key during our last trip and I am impressed with the quality, it is FAR nicer than the mid-range set that I have had for 15+ years so I ordered myself a new mask and snorkel from LeisurePro. I think the brand is Cressi (sp?) and the quality seems good enough. I think it was $45 for the mask and $20 for the snorkel. For reference, my son's mask was $72 and the snorkel was $30.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Thanks for the reply's. I'd like to get him good gear for Christmas and don't mind paying a little more for good quality. I agree the mask is key and what he normally has had trouble with in the past. I'm excited to have some good idea's to look for now.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

One of the things you could do is to get him a gift certificate at Low Key that he could use when you get there in April. Then he would be assured that he gets a good fit.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....