Day trip ideas?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Day trip ideas?

Post by northerngal »

We are getting closer!!! YEA! We will be in Coral Bay for 10 days in January so I'm thinking maybe it's time to try a day trip somewhere. We have never done one as we just cruise around hitting beaches that look good that day but I'm thinking this might be the trip to try one. Can anyone give me some suggestions for charters? There will just be the 2 of us and don't want to go with a large group but wouldn't mind some company. Snorkeling is our big thing we like to do. THANKS!
GidgetPicklebrain

Re: Day trip ideas?

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Captain Phil's boat, the Wayward Sailor, takes a maximum of 6, and he is absolutely wonderful for snorkel trips. he snorkels along with you and is an expert at identifying and teaching about the various underwater creatures you encounter. He's alsogot some great stories to share as you sail from here to there. We took his Jost Van Dyke daysail, which included a nature walk on Jost as well as a snorkel stop, and had a great time. He also does full or half day snorkel trips and sunset sails.

http://www.waywardsailor.net/
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I pm'd you, but I also think Capt Phil is a trip not to be missed for snorkelers, for the reasons Gidget pointed out. He's a great conversationalist, even getting my shy hubby involved in his stories :) A wonderful, wonderful trip!
ETA: He also very patiently taught me to free dive that day - something I'd always wanted to learn.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

I would also recommend a local waters day sail with Jason and crew aboard the Survivan. This is a beautiful boat and a very laid back day.

http://www.stjohnyachtcharters.com/Sail ... ptions.htm
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

One of our very favorite days on the waters of St John was on Long Distance with Rick and Robin. We had a great time with them, and the focus was definitely on snorkeling. They leave out of Coral Bay, which is nice when you are staying on that end of the island.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Center Console dingy is a great day too
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I would also recommend www.palmtreecharters.com‎, Capt. John Brandi, he has a Glacier Bay power boat and the day is yours to plan. The maximum he can take is 6 people, it is an awesome day trip and John is a great guy. When in January will you be there? My friend and I (she is a newbie :D ) will be down from 1/20-1/27.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I concur with capt John with Palm tree charters. I loved the several trips that we have had with him and now feel
Lucky enough to call him my friend. Everyone from the folks in customs tonorhernother boat captains to mic at Soggy Dollar love and respect him!! ( and of course he couldn't do all he does without his first mate behind the scenes!)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

http://caribbean-vibe.com
We love Captain Sam and Laura with Caribbean Vibe. We've been going out with them for years and always have the BEST time! It's always our best day of our vacation and they always come up with new fun things to show us!
bill

Post by bill »

Check out Flygirl out of Cruz Bay. It is a small catermaran which we have taken several times. The trip out to Jost is really a nice day trip. The catermaran is small so it takes a max of 6 people although we have never sailed with more than 2 other people - for a total of 4! You will have a great time!
Dan

Post by Dan »

The best day trip on St John is aboard the Kekoa. It's a beautiful catamaran that takes off to several stops for snorkeling before it ends up at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke.
The great thing about this boat over the power boats is that once the sails go up it's just the wind, water, and a little reggae music and no engine noise.
Here is a link to my blog with some pictures of my Kekoa trips.
enjoy!
http://www.sunshinelobster.com/2011/12/ ... -jost.html

Dan