Carry-on food question

Travel discussion for St. John
dreamshark

Carry-on food question

Post by dreamshark »

Will the TSA let you through with a jar of peanut butter? Jelly?
PA Girl

Re: Carry-on food question

Post by PA Girl »

You have room in your carry-on for peanut butter and jelly?
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

You definitely can't take a jar of peanut butter or jelly in your carry-on...unless they're less than 3 ounces each and fit in your quart sized liquids bag.

Jif has individual serving size peanut butter; I buy them for trips and after I've packed all my liquids I shove as many peanut butters into my liquid bags as I can.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Peanut butter is only a few dollars more on STJ than at home, so if it's a matter of trying to save some money, you probably don't need to worry too much.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I ship down my super, mega, jumbo sized jar of Jif every year-not allowed in carry-on - but ...

we can now bring knives on planes?! - go figure...

PS: Nothing better than eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on Little Lameshur and then eating oreos that have been sitting in the sun all morning for dessert....mmmm

-John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Jif has individual serving size peanut butter; I buy them for trips and after I've packed all my liquids I shove as many peanut butters into my liquid bags as I can.
Perfect, that should do it! (Didn't know that product existed) :o

Okay, here's the deal with that question. I'm currently enjoying a fantasy trip where I just get fed up with winter and fly off to St. John in early December, leaving my husband to do the thing he loves with Christmas lights. On the cheap - no jeep.The idea is to travel cheap and light, the way I used to when I was 22. Heck, I've lived out of a backpack before, including packing food, tent, and a sleeping bag - shouldn't be that hard. So there's the setup.

In my first fantasy scenario, I spend the first 3 nights in the Garden B&B, 'cause it's got pretty colors and tropical garden showers and free breakfast on the veranda. I might not feel like venturing out the first evening, esp. if I get there towards evening. So I unpack my meager bags, try out the exotic shower, and relax in the comfy commons area. But wait, now I'm hungry! What am I going to do? It's a B&B, not a villa - so I can't even make grilled cheese sandwiches. But if I have a loaf of Brownberry bread, peanut butter, and jelly, I'll never go hungry!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Could you mail yourself a package, in your fantasy, Dreamshark? Cause that opens up all kinds of theoretical possibilities :wink:
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

mindehankins wrote:Could you mail yourself a package, in your fantasy, Dreamshark? Cause that opens up all kinds of theoretical possibilities :wink:
No, no, that completely misses the point, which is simplicity and the comfort of knowing that you have everything you need in your backpack (plus maybe a small duffel - there are snorkel fins to think of).

Besides, I HATE mailing packages.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

According to the online flyer, Peter Pan peanut butter is regularly $5.99
Not worth bringing in my opinion
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

We always have trouble with the pound of ground coffee from our local coffee shop. It's needed to get the day started right. TSA sees ground coffee as a liquid in our carry on. So I've just started dumping everything into the bin and letting them see what it is. Problem solved.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I love it, and hope you do it and share your story.
I believe that if you're on St. John, you have everything you need....
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

You can't take the peanut butter but thank goodness you can take a nice sharp knife to spread it. :|
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!