bioluminescent bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
newlywedtravel

bioluminescent bay?

Post by newlywedtravel »

Hi everyone! New here and headed to St. John for the first time for 9 days at the end of March for our honeymoon. Does anyone know if there are any bioluminescent bays/water areas near St. John, and who to contact to arrange a boat trip? I want to surprise my husband with this. Thanks so much! Also—if you have any must-dos, please let me know!
hoosierdaddy

Re: bioluminescent bay?

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Not that I am an expert but I have never heard of one on St. John. Actually I have never heard of a bioluminescent bay period. :?
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

hoosierdaddy wrote:Not that I am an expert but I have never heard of one on St. John. Actually I have never heard of a bioluminescent bay period. :?
We learn something new everyday :lol:
http://biobay.com/
coldfront

Post by coldfront »

I'm not the expert but when I visited St Croix I think I heard there is "kind of" one that is "decent". It's a night kayak I believe. Then of course the WONDERFUL one is over off of Puerto Rico on Vieques. Um, but I'm pretty sure none directly on St John or at least with easy access. If it would be really meaningful though it would not be difficult to plan a quick visit to St Croix or Vieques at the start or end of your trip :D Anyone else know of any bio bays on STJ or STT?
newlywedtravel

Post by newlywedtravel »

Thank y'all so much. @coldfront. The night kayak is what I was looking for. I did the trip when I was in Vieques before I met my husband and he saw the pictures and was blown away (it really was an amazing experience), so I wanted to find something comparable in St. John. I'll look into an overnight in St. Croix, thanks!
If that's not possible, does anyone know of any night kayaking trips in St. John—not a chartered sunset cruise, but maybe something a bit more active and/or off the beaten path?
Thanks so much!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

shoemak38 wrote:
hoosierdaddy wrote:Not that I am an expert but I have never heard of one on St. John. Actually I have never heard of a bioluminescent bay period. :?
We learn something new everyday :lol:
http://biobay.com/
Well what do you know I did learn something today. Now if I can just remember where I put my wallet. :lol:
thanks for the info.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

newlywed travel - No actual bioluminescent bays, but I have noticed that when the moon is bright there appears to be a hint of bioluminescence when the waves break. Check the calendar to see if you'll be on STJ anywhere near a full moon. Maybe one of the other forumites could suggest a spot to get a romantic view of the surf. I've never done the Ram's Head hike but I seem to recall others mentioning this as a favorite for the full moon. You'd have to plan ahead and pack flashlights. Even if there's no bioluminescense it's pretty special to see the moon with someone you love.
AboutToGoCoastal

Post by AboutToGoCoastal »

In Feet, Fins, and Four-Wheel Drive it says that 3 days after a full moon you can see them at Hawksnest.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Actually. we stumbled upon bioluminescence at Salt Pond Bay during a July trip a few years ago. We were staying at Concordia and decided to take an early evening hike (shortly after sunset - it was dark) to the beach. Wading, splashing, or any water movement resulted in a "fairy dust" effect I had never before witnessed. Apparently (and I researched this phenomenon afterward) a lot has to do with the time of year (it was mid-July) and cycle of the moon (a couple of days after the full moon). Even then, it also may depend upon the water current and other factors. We were incredibly lucky.
rvtravelerz

Post by rvtravelerz »

Have seen it in Cinnamon bay on a dark nite, running your hand thru the water excites the organisms and its like "Stars on The Water" (JB).......Have also, on a full moon, stood chest deep in the water and could see my feet.......RVTRAVELERZ
Old, pushing 70 this year, seen all 50 states,and several caribe islands, cruised 3 times, and still cant get enuff of CinnamonBay
cuey12

Post by cuey12 »

I posted this once before. I saw it at Cinnamon also, last Feb. The waves were high and the "light" lingered in the sand for awhile after the wave rolled out. But, it is no way near a bioluminescence bay experience. Still, it was fun and drew a crowd to see it.
bert

Post by bert »

Try Francis Bay. You can seee it best when there is some prop wash or other surface disturbance with a full moon.
peace.... bert