Lemon trees on island?

Travel discussion for St. John
casalafamiglia

Lemon trees on island?

Post by casalafamiglia »

Hi Everyone! As some of you know, we are building a villa on St. John and was hoping on planting some fruit trees. I've seen Lemon trees in containers indoors/outdoors as well as them in the ground in other tropical climates. Can anyone give me pro's and con's to having fruit trees on island? Are certain fruit trees better than others?
http://www.casalafamiglia.com/blogdetail.asp?wb=011113
Thanks so much,
Christine
Klein Bay, St. John
xxjpxx9

Re: Lemon trees on island?

Post by xxjpxx9 »

Interested in some locals advice on this too! Love learning about island life :)

PS- Your blog is great, please keep it going! Sometimes it's tough to stay motivated when you're not sure who's reading but there are plenty of lurkers out there!
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Hi xxjpxx9,
I thought for sure someone would know about lemon trees! Since no one responded, I did some research this evening on them. They like warm, tropical climates and the best part is that iguana's don't eat citrus fruit, which was something I was worried about. I'm thinking of those dwarf lemon trees? They grow in containers and constantly grow their fruit at different times. Then, I saw Key lime trees on the same webpage and I'm thinking to try those. Not sure how they'll do but it would be cool to have fresh lemons and limes for cooking (i love to cook) and for drinks. Thanks for your kind words. I'm not a writer but I'm glad your enjoying it.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I think your success at growing fruit trees will depend on the exposure to wind or salt air, rainfall amounts and most important the soil. I grow key limes, bananas, breadfruit, avocados, soursops, coconuts, passionfruit, bay rum, papayas and mango - I depend on natural rainfall only, keep the soil well composted and every few years end up cutting most of these trees back or down when they get too big and totally obscure the ocean view.
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Exitzero, I'd love to contact you on this endeavor of mine. I'm thinking of growing the lemon dwarf ones in big mediterranean urns for my back patio. I love the idea of growing some of the trees you have, but was concerned about maintenance, and if you have bug or iguana problems. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I just looked at the pics and read your blog and realize you are in a much different eco zone than my NW mountain forest location - and it looks like if there was any soil on your property it was very thin and has been mostly scraped away - a few people on STJ like Josephine Roller, Dr. Gary Ray, Eleanor Gibney, Jeff Miller and others would have a much more knowledgeable input than I could. The house looks to me like it is in the Klein Bay area from the photos and very low to the water - you can also judge for yourself by the surrounding vegetation what is likely to thrive for you - with irrigation and terraces with topsoil added - it looks like mostly rocky shale at the moment to me.
A good understanding of the USVI vegetative habitats is available in the book:
Island Peak to Coral Reef by Toni Thomas and Barry Devine
ISBN0-615-12992-7 Published by UVI
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Wow, great information. Thanks! I'm going to find that book and maybe try to speak to those you mentioned when we get to the island next month. When we hire a landscaper, I will ask too. I'm the type to do all the research prior. I know we will have a villa manager and watering may be the biggest hurdle for us for those potted, urn containers. Hopefully, I will find some trees I can plant on the property. You must love all the fresh fruit!
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Just bought the book at VI Traders for $20 plus shipping/tax. Very excited! Thanks again for your help.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

My friends villa on upper rockridge limes and Bananas do great lemons and great fruit not so much.
Tom
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

Thanks Tom!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

I think I remember reading about lemon or fruit trees on Gerald Singers blog/website. www.onstjohn.com
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Betty

Post by Betty »

Yes you can grow lemon tree's on St John. They will grow either in the ground or pots. We use a nursery in St Thomas, that sells all different types of fruit tree's and they will get you whatever they don't have on special order. They are ABC Nursery, Cliff is the owner and Betty is at the nursery most days. I bought a very small orange tree last year, and I got one orange, this year 7 oranges. I have papaya trees grown from seed planted last spring that have about 40 papayas on each tree. I have sugar cane, coffee beans, peas, bananas and avocado. We have also grown cantaloupe, watermelon, and Caribbean Pumpkin all from seed. My tomato plants got the white mildew and died quickly. Herbs grow beautifully in pots on my patio, easy to go out and pick while I am cooking.

Many of my friends who do not have a lot of dirt, will grow their plants in raised beds, also a way to put a screen or fencing around if you have critters. We do not have critters, we have bait traps out for rats and they are never eaten.

At ABC you can buy Iguana Away and spray it on your plants. It works, smells horrible.

ABC has the lowest prices for plants on both islands and they deliver to St John. It is located about a mile plus up the hill from Home Depot. The owners could not be more helpful!
Betty

Post by Betty »

Also before it is too late, make sure you have plenty of spigots outside to water your pots situated around the house. Also where ever you are going to have plants that are not draught tolerant, terraces, beds fruit orchard, etc plan for your irrigation now. Since you will not be living at your villa, make it as easy as possible for the management company to water, otherwise they may not and you will lose your plants. Especially while the plants are trying to get established.
casalafamiglia

Post by casalafamiglia »

wow, thanks Betty! I'm going to email our builder about the spigots! What a smart idea for anyone who wants to plant flowers or trees nearby. I'm going to print out your response for myself and put it in my big folder!
Betty

Post by Betty »

Every patio or outdoor space around the house where you might have potted plants you should have a spigot, I even have one on my screened in porch. We are just finishing up our build, contact me the next time your in town and I would be happy to show you our fruit trees and your welcome to some banana slips. I live very close to your site.