a friend needs dinghy help to Lovango...

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

a friend needs dinghy help to Lovango...

Post by mahojim »

I have a friend that's staying on Lovango next February with another couple, and yes, I'm jealous as hell.
They're looking to find a center console dinghy to rent for that week,and are having trouble. Noah's doesn't seem to have one, and other places they've tried don't carry insurance for somewhere that far from the STJ shore.
Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, and always
Smiles-
MJ
needmesomesun

Re: a friend needs dinghy help to Lovango...

Post by needmesomesun »

Have they tried Calypso VI? They seem to rent center consoles, mention something about weekly rental on their site (not sure if they were referring to the dinghy or the snorkel gear on that one). Lovango *appears* to be within their bounds on the rental map on their website, just not their recommended travel route.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
Pia

Post by Pia »

Calypso will not allow them to keep the dinghy overnight. Their daily rate is $195 plus $30 for fuel (per day) plus a $1,000 deposit but (obviously) that will not work as the dinghy will have to be returned daily by 4pm and then how would they get back to Lovongo. As far as I know no dinghy company will allow you to keep a dinghy overnight due to insurance regulations.

Doesn't the villa on Lovongo have a dinghy to use ?

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Based on a prior trip report, I think you need to prearrange a ride on their dinghy through the property manager.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

We stayed on Lovango and always hitched a dinghy or boat ride back and forth with the property manager, Marcy or Dan Boyd or with their caretaker, Santa who is not there anymore. Marcy had always said we could rent a dinghy for the week if we wanted to venture out on our own but never even wanted to. Lovango is that cool!
Anyway, Marcy would know who to call on the dinghy rental. I assume she is still managing the property. Good luck! :D
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Hey Jim,

We stayed on Lovango a few months ago. We tried everywhere to find a dinghy rental but none would allow a trip to Lovango. In the end we just had Dan and Marcy run us over if we needed to hit Cruz Bay. We really felt no need to go over much though, Lovango is so private and peaceful. We did do a dinghy day and ended up taking it across to Lovango for lunch (shhhhh!). Your friends will love it there!

M
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

You may have read our trip report. I was thinking there may be an available rental, but I didn't know. Dan and Marcy are accomodatiing, but remember they have business to conduct. If your friends have a special event to get to (we did the forum gathering), they are really nice to accomodate you with advanced notice. If they talk to them and find out when they are going over (usually at least one time a day, many times more) they will be happy to let them hitch a ride. They are really nice. Any way Lovango is best enjoyed straight on. Just enjoy it! :D