Gurlz only....

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

Gurlz only....

Post by djmom »

or guys, I really don't care if you read this but it could get gross :twisted:

I am seriously considering a hysterectomy due to 2 week long periods and really bad about a week of that.

I don't know a single person who has had one. When googling you hear a bunch of horror stories, but who is going to take the time to post about their "fabulous" experiences....lol.

If you have had one and want to pm me or reply I would greatly appreciate it. I'm kindof at the end of my rope.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

1. What does your doctor suggest?
2. How far are you from menopause (is this onset)?; the last couple of years before I hit it were, let's just say, CRAZY.
3. Do you have family history of uterine cancer/ovarian cancer?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Having been through it all I can say is "this too will pass".

Don't have surgery if you don't need to.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Not the subject I was expecting but I can chime in! I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in April because of fibroids. To give you an idea, an normal uterus weighs like 80 grams and mine was 335 grams. I am 44 and no signs of menopause, though I kept my ovaries so that shouldn't be an issue. I have 1 scar on each hip bone and 1 in my belly button. The surgery wasn't bad at all since I was asleep ( haha ) and I stayed 1 night in the hospital. I never even filled the prescription for pain meds and was off Ibuprofen after 2 days. I was very tired for 3 full weeks so definitely stay off your feet and get rest. Also, it took about 8 weeks until I could lift or move heavy things without feeling it. I had a lot of bruising on the one side that looked bad but was fine ( doctor said some injury to ligament in there can happen when they operate laparoscopically ). Almost 3 months later, everything is back to normal and working fine!

:wink:
I posted as a reply and not a PM in case anyone else is wondering. My mom had the surgery because of endometrial cancer and I went to her doctor so I was able to get a good idea of what it entailed. I am so happy I did it! I was having rougher periods too as I got older, though not as bad as yours, so I don't have to deal with that anymore. Good luck!
djmom

Post by djmom »

My doctor is laid back and said I can either deal with it, have an endometrial ablation (which totally freaks me out) or have the surgery.

I'm 47 and have no clue when menopause will set in but I haven't really had hot flashes to any degree except what might have been a few a couple of years ago when this all started.

No family history of cancer.

It's just that each month it is bearable, but month after month...it starts getting to you and you look back and realize it is your period half of the time. It starts affecting quality of life big time. Stuck in the house a couple days each month. Cramps like a teenager, etc...Needless to say my husband isn't loving it either.

I haven't talked to my doctor about it for about a year but I am going to go in and just sort of want to be ready for the discussion.

I'm not big on surgery but what if this goes on for 5 more years. Which I guess is a reasonable chance of happening. That would really stink.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
djmom

Post by djmom »

p.s. thank you Donna for responding and also to the others who PM'd me!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I know 2 people who had the endometrial ablation and it worked quite well.
Since it is almost 100 degrees today, I was staying inside and checking out some other STJ blogs and websites. Some jerk actually saw your post and had the nerve to comment on why it would be on a STJ, "even off-topic" forum. It's OFF-TOPIC!!!! Most of the people I have "talked" to on this forum have been nothing but kind and helpful and sometimes you need information or advice that you have no other way of obtaining. I promptly un-bookmarked his blog and have no intention of reading it again. Hopefully, he reads this and realizes that he is being narrow-minded and doesn't have to read things that come with a disclaimer!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Ha, ha Donna! Why his he even looking at Off Topic then, and yes, I did give a disclaimer, didn't I!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Here is my reply I posted to the blog. I'm sure it won't get posted so I'll share it here.

I'm not usually mean but let's just say IT'S MY PERIOD and I'm not in the mood to be insulted about an off-topic post I made. I've been a member of this forum for MANY years. I know the rules.

"Get a life. I posted it. That's why it is called off topic. By the way your blog is super-boring and even less exciting than my hysterectomy."
lprof

Post by lprof »

djmom wrote:Here is my reply I posted to the blog. I'm sure it won't get posted so I'll share it here.

I'm not usually mean but let's just say IT'S MY PERIOD and I'm not in the mood to be insulted about an off-topic post I made. I've been a member of this forum for MANY years. I know the rules.

"Get a life. I posted it. That's why it is called off topic. By the way your blog is super-boring and even less exciting than my hysterectomy."
I should have kept a copy of the reply I posted with Ms. No-See-Um last night. She says "OK people, comment here:", but....
I thought I had deleted her from my blog list, but there she was spelling out her critique!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

lprof wrote: I should have kept a copy of the reply I posted with Ms. No-See-Um last night. She says "OK people, comment here:", but....
I thought I had deleted her from my blog list, but there she was spelling out her critique!
Who is No-See-Um read the blog a lot of his blogs different

:?
djmom

Post by djmom »

No see um sounds like the most unhappy person on the most beautiful island on earth. I took a good look at it myself. Let's drive by an empty jar on a mailbox every day for two months. And do nothing about it but post a complaint about when is someone going to do something about it.

Seriously, my uterus is way more interesting.
lprof

Post by lprof »

shoemak38 wrote:
lprof wrote: I should have kept a copy of the reply I posted with Ms. No-See-Um last night. She says "OK people, comment here:", but....
Who is No-See-Um read the blog a lot of his blogs different

:?
I have no idea who he/she is; this forum's members have been criticized previously by No-See-Um.

IF this post offended anyone on this forum or if the Site Administrator felt it inappropriate, I think notice would be given here, and that would be the business of the posters to this thread.

Edit: Adding here that my comment, djmom's, as well as one supporting No-See-Um, have been added on the No-See-Um Blog now. This concludes all my comments on that matter. :roll:
... no longer a stranger to paradise
djmom

Post by djmom »

I hope I didn't offend anyone. The way I look at it is that this forum has good people and I trust your personal experiences more than a medical forum of people that I don't "know" at all. I don't need advice from a doctor (I have that.) I wanted to hear what it really was like to have the surgery, or to hear other advice from real people.

First, I have received several responses that have been well thought out and are very caring. Second, on a medical forum you are going to get a lot of people who are obsessed with thier conditions, have had bad experiences that they want to report, or have agendas. Even looking on websites of doctors you see very biased information.

So that is why I posted here, if anyone wondered! Same with family stuff, you all were spot-on with your advice for my daughter to go to the One Direction Concert. I never would have taken her to that concert if it weren't for the encouragement on this forum.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

At 47 I had horrible 7 day periods ever 2 weeks. My doctor suggested the pill. I never took it in the past due to my mom dying young from a pill related blood clot. I knew the pill was much safer now. I went on it for 18 months. The Dr said I probably would have no periods when I went off. Sure enough, he was right. Hot flashes came on in full force though. The 18 months on the pill were wonderful..light 4 day regular periods. I avoided any surgery. Maybe this is an option for you? Good luck!