Baths from St. John - Suggestions?

Travel discussion for St. John
bsmiley

Baths from St. John - Suggestions?

Post by bsmiley »

Things worked out this year to do 10 days and our kids (3 ages 12-17) have never visited the Baths.

Just curious what others recommend in getting there. Public ferry, group, private?

We did our first trip on Caneel's ferry. I dont want the kids stuck on a slow ferry breathing deisel fumes for two hours. We like to have a few drinks but since our kids are with us we dont really want to do be with a heavy party crowd. I.e. would like a more mellow trip.

Looking into Stormy Petrel, Lion in da sun, Limnos, New Horizons.

Thoughts, experiences, recommendations very much appreciated.
bsmiley

Post by bsmiley »

More research. Two of our crew have questionable sea legs at times so a bigger boat would be better for that long of a trip.

Now looking at Cruz Bay Watersports. Its a big boat and offers the convenience of leaving from Westin OR just taking the ferry over.

Old topics I was able to find on this seemed to be 5 years old.

Anyone take the ferry over to VG recently? Good experience? How long of a ride?

Thanks,
loria

Post by loria »

i think the bad kitty makes that trip in a power - catamaran.-- should be a fairly smooth ride and get there pretty quick-- I don;t think you stay all that long though.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
bsmiley

Post by bsmiley »

Yea, that is what we are weighing now. The convenience of one of the trips v/s having more time there if we do the ferry. 90 min doesn't seem like much. We did the Caneel trip several years ago and had a few hours there, explored, relaxed, had a few drinks.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Deleted
Last edited by Pia on Tue May 15, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor - St John Properties
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

We took the ferry to the Baths a few years ago. It worked out great, and we were able to go and stay on our own schedule. It's a little more no-frills than an excursion, though.
bsmiley

Post by bsmiley »

Pia, thanks I will take you up on that. Attempted to PM you.

Buffalogal - that is what we are considering. One of our more enjoyable parts of the last trip there was sitting up at the bar (Mad Dog?) and having a few drinks after our explore. Of course we then went to Little Dix to chill out which is not an option now.

I prefer not being herded around and having the time on our own. No problem with getting around on our own. I am just concerned that I have been on some ferry's that have reeked of diesel or sewage and a couple of our family would not deal well with that on that long of a trip.

Wish I knew what InterIsland was using for a ferry to VG.
Last edited by bsmiley on Tue May 15, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The previous content of my post has been deleted by me at the request of Pia.
I feel Anthony does a laudable job moderating the many aspects of this forum.
The remaining portion exists as originally posted:
I do not discount your many valuable responses on STJ and applaud the many times you have offered corrections of some wrong information, I also note your levity in the often interpersonal repartee with other popular forum members as beneficial.
I thought there was a 'report this post' option on this site but do not see it anymore, but I would have gladly chosen that route instead.
Last edited by Exit Zero on Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I, as an island visitor, appreciate contact with business owners on this forum. I feel like I know them and can trust them. I would rather deal with someone like Pia, or Capt. Brandi, or Tom than a complete stranger...not to mention the valuable information they offer about other questions we may have about STJ..or the islands...Just my humble opinion...
I think it would be different if they weren't contributing people on the forum and instead just showed up to spam about their businesses...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

It is a fine line - and frankly I think Pia crossed it in this case.

Most every regular here knows who is who (on St. John). There are plenty of villa owners, and other business owners. But there are also rules, and advertisers who expect value from me when they choose to support the forum.

The forum costs increase every year as bandwidth increases, etc. And we have felt the "crisis" like every one else in the travel and tourism industry. I try to give a long leash, and I put up with some stuff from advertisers or former advertisers that maybe makes some people think twice, but the bottom line is - you can't troll the forum for business.

As Exit Zero said - I don't want to discount the many contributions made by Pia, but I would prefer that her post in this thread was not made - period. She is hawking a business venture. In a break from my regular routine I am saying it here to let people know (since it has been a while) just where I stand on issues like this.

And - it is late here and I am going to bed soon, so please don't let this escalate into a giant disaster. Thanks -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Pia

Post by Pia »

Apologies Anthony - deleted

Pia
Pia

Post by Pia »

You are absolutely correct - I was inappropriate and for that I apologize and have deleted my post and ask that Exit Zero delete the “quote” in his post also so that way it is removed entirely.

I would like to add to Exit that you are correct in regards to the Real Estate “mentions” that I give when people are looking for an answer to a Real Estate related question - I would like to add that we advertised with Anthony and this forum for 6 months (maybe you did not notice our advertising banner on this forum) and during that time felt it was appropriate should I mention that both Les and I are Realtors. I would also like to think that being on this forum that people have a sense of who I am (as much as you can over the internet) but in no way should they feel obligated to use Les or myself as Realtors and I always try to answer the question being asked regardless.

As far as the “excursion booking” section of my life - again you are correct but what arrangements the boat/charter companies make with concierge and outside booking agents really is between the concierge and outside booking agents - if they are comfortable with whatever arrangement had been made then who is to say it is wrong or to be upset about the policy (definitely not always 20% and higher)

There are over 20 booking agents on St John alone (every hotel concierge, free standing kiosk, villa management companies, watersports shops, dive shops, coffee shop, to name a few - some with a license and many more without) not to mention that a lot of boat company book other boats companies with the same arrangement.

I would also like to add, I do refer many to companies that have no compensation arrangement with me if I feel they are the best fit for the family but only if I know that the charter company is current on all insurance and licensing.

Again I apologize to this forum and to Anthony.

Pia
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We have taken the ferry twice from St John. It seemed like we arrived at 1000 and the ferry left about 3 to return. It took all the time we had to explore the baths, snorkel and eat at the nice restaurant top of the Baths for lunch. I still crave the coconut chicken sandwich and the frozen drinks there.

Your kids will love it! Do lock up your things while you explore the Baths. We left a beach bag and my raft shirt on our blanket. Someone helped their selves to my new raft shirt. Lesson learned!

I don't remember any bad exhaust or smells on the ferry. I did take a book to read the ride was a little over a hour.

Enjoy!
steve

Post by steve »

Have done the Bad Kitty twice, once with a large group of fifteen and once with a group of six. Service is great (drinks and snacks included)and the boat is the smoothest and fastest ride you can get. Your group will love it. Enjoy your trip!
Steve, St John frequent flyer
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Other than a charter and the ferry, are there any boat operators that take groups solely to the Baths? I know that Bad Kitty and a few others make stops there, but are there any companies that go to the Baths exclusively?
Jenn, News of St. John