Snorkel gear

Travel discussion for St. John
alsea

Snorkel gear

Post by alsea »

So I'm wondering if we should bring our own gear or buy it once we get there? How much does snorkel gear cost on St John? Also do we really need fins? Are there certain beaches that fins are worth it? Thank you!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We bring our gear, and yes, there are several great snorkels that you'll want fins for. And at least one great one that you definitely WON'T want fins for ;)
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I would bring it with you. I tucked mine into my suitcase no problem. You will want it for Waterlemon definitely. And in my opinion, that is one of the best snorkels. Places like Maho, for example, you will not need fins.
Jenn, News of St. John
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

mindehankins wrote:We bring our gear, and yes, there are several great snorkels that you'll want fins for. And at least one great one that you definitely WON'T want fins for ;)
Okay Minde, spill. What snorkel is better without fins?
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

I rarely snorkel w/o fins.
They enable you to mogate thru the water like a fish...don't need any arms for snorkeling, really, and you can much more easily move around with the fins.
Take your own, if possible, and enjoy!
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We bought our snorkel gear from Low Key Watersports on SJ last year and it was about $100/person and we are very happy with it. We got the small (~24") fins that easily fit in our carryons and work fine for us.

At Francis or Maho we occasionally don't use fins but most other snorkels we use them, definitely at Waterlemon and Salt pond.

If you don't have room for your fins and will only think you will use them occasionally you can rent them from several places for ~$5/ day.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Juli B

Post by Juli B »

Personally, I think you should buy the gear before you go if you think you will use it for years to come. I have a dive mask that I bought in 1992 and is still in great shape. Your mask is the most important because if it does not fit correctly, you will have an unhappy snorkeling experience. The one trip that I did not bring fins to save room in my checked bag, I really regretted it. I put my mask and snorkel in my carry on and fins in checked bag. I have read of many people putting it all in their checked bag with no problem but I don't want to risk broken equipment.

My guess is the mangroves is the only area where you do not, and should not, use fins.

Happy snorkeling!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/][img ... .png[/img]
[/url]
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

IMHO as a snorkeler and scuba diver, mask fit and it's comfort are the most important thing. I would go to a dive shop and have it fitted for you. You can always rent fins if you want and they take up the most space in your luggage,the mask and snorkel are minimal. The better the mask fits, the more relaxed you will be in the water and the more you will see 8) The only fish around a paniced snorkeler is a shark :shock: Good Luck
Last edited by traveler22 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

traveler22 wrote:IMHO as a snorkeler and scuba diver, mask fit and it's comfort is the most important thing. I would go to a dive shop and have it fitted for you. You can always rent fins if you want and they take up the most space in your luggage,the mask and snorkel are minimal. The better the mask fits, the more relaxed you will be in the water and the more you will see 8) Good Luck
I agree 100%. I have a mask and snorkel that I love and I rent fins on island. Easy traveling without them and I would not want to try and snorkel without the mask I am comfortable with.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

My two cents on snorkel gear: it's better to own and bring down a set that you really like. The gear doesn't cost that much, and will last for many years. If you wear glasses for distance vision, spring for a prescription mask; they don't cost that much more. Fins are an amazingly efficient way to move through the water, and allow you to consider longer snorkels then you could without them. I find full foot fins much more comfortable than ones with straps. Do check to make sure that their length will let them fit in a carry-on. I also prefer a "dry" snorkel, since you can start breathing as soon as you surface. Low Key has good anti-fog drops, and a mesh bag to put everything in (along with suntan lotion and what-not) is also a good idea. The book "St. John: Off the Beaten Path" has a lot of information on rewarding snorkels.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

There are shops on STJ that sell good masks, so you can go to dive shop at home or get one on STJ. The prices on STJ actually aren't much more than what you'd pay at home and there is no sales tax.

I bought my mask at home but have seen lots of high quality ones on island.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain