Someone else is using my name!

Travel discussion for St. John
Nancie-Pa

Someone else is using my name!

Post by Nancie-Pa »

This might not be the right place to ask this, but if anyone has the answer to my problem it will be a fellow forumite.
I was on Frank Barneko's "News Of St John" blog and saw that someone had posted a repy (and a not so nice one at that!) using my tag name of Nancie-PA! I was shocked and then mad that someone would do this! Why would they do this? How CAN they do this? How do I keep it from happening again? How many times has this happened before that I'm not aware of?
I'm not computer savvy, but does this mean someone has "control" of my computer? It's just my husband and I living here and we only have this old desk top computer.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

Your tag name is only 'locked' for the specific web site you registered with (or family of web sites working under the same organization). In this case, 'News of STJ' has no affiliation with VIOL so any tag name used on VIOL can be used by others on News or vice versa.
Don't worry, your computer is not under their control.
[/url]
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I agree with Chris! Unless they deliberately picked your name from the forum to then post on News of St. John. I don't think your user name on VIOL is exclusive.
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

Nancie - anonymity can bring out the Troll in a lot of people or it could simply be someone who shares the same signature. Hard to tell.

Since it is another site but one that many people from here frequent, what you can do (and I would) is to post a simple message letting people know that the message signed by that Nancie-Pa is not you, the Nancie-Pa who posts here.

-Sandy

ETA: I see you had already done so. You mentioned that you aren't computer savvy. Internet trolls (as in trolling for reactions) thrive off of upsetting people. Don't let them do that to you they're not worth your time.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Beesmom wrote:Nancie - anonymity can bring out the Troll in a lot of people or it could simply be someone who shares the same signature. Hard to tell.

Since it is another site but one that many people from here frequent, what you can do (and I would) is to post a simple message letting people know that the message signed by that Nancie-Pa is not you, the Nancie-Pa who posts here.

-Sandy

ETA: I see you had already done so. You mentioned that you aren't computer savvy. Internet trolls (as in trolling for reactions) thrive off of upsetting people. Don't let them do that to you they're not worth your time.
No worries. Frank made it clear now, too, that you are YOU and that the other person is NOT you. Let this one pass and take a deep breath.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Thanks everyone, for assuring me that no one has "control" of my computer. Feel much better. And to the person who did this...Karma's a B----!!
The REAL Nancie-PA. :D
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.