West Inidan Food

Travel discussion for St. John
CreativeName

West Inidan Food

Post by CreativeName »

I know where Shela's pot was, I don't know where it is now. I have also heard good things about Sogo's. I don't know where that is either. If I am standing at the Ferry dock, can someone direct me. I can picture landmarks (Mongoose, Roundabout, Woody's etc) in my head if that helps you help me.

Any other places that serve this type of food? I will try Vie's this trip as well.

Thank you,

Creative Name
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We discovered P&P's Restaurant on our last trip and loved it. I can't stop thinking about, and wishing I had one of the chicken rotis.

To get there stay on the road past Gallows Point and follow it around till it splits. Follow the road on the left up the hill, the restaurant is a the top of the hill.

Great people and great food!
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
augie

Post by augie »

To get to Sogo's from the ferry dock I *think* you do the following;

Walk past Connections and take a right at the first road (you'll be walking in the opposite direction than car traffic), and it will be on your right.
Come see us!
CreativeName

Post by CreativeName »

Thank you Augie, is that the same road the Fish Trap is on, or am I turned around?

JwwJ, I'll have to check out P&P as well. This is the first I have heard of that one.
augie

Post by augie »

Yes, it's before you get to Fish Trap.
Come see us!
barnbob

Post by barnbob »

Sylvia's Clean Plate is a favorite of mine. Sylvia makes amazing Jamaican food with some great spices. Her jerk shrimp is one of my favorites as well as goat stew. She is right beside the Donkey Diner in Sputnik's (Coral Bay). She's about as authentic as you can get.
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

jwwj wrote:We discovered P&P's Restaurant on our last trip and loved it. I can't stop thinking about, and wishing I had one of the chicken rotis.

To get there stay on the road past Gallows Point and follow it around till it splits. Follow the road on the left up the hill, the restaurant is a the top of the hill.

Great people and great food!
May I touch up these directions a bit, please?

After you pass Gallows Point and its parking area, take the first RIGHT turn (at the split), go DOWN the hill. You'll see Frank Bay on the right, Coconut Coast Studio on the left. Go straight for a block, and you'll see the desalinisation plant on the left. THEN turn left and go up the hill. P&P will be on your left.

Bon appetit.

TM
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

P&P is outstanding. But please make sure to call ahead and place your order, especially if you're traveling in the slower season. The first time we went there in July 2010 we didn't call ahead and Patricia really had to scramble to find ingredients for us. We were more than happy to take what she offered, stewed conch and shrimp fritters, and it was unreal!

After that point, we always call ahead and let her know to expect us. The food is authentic, delicious, and the views are excellent.

Folks who expect an upscale dining experience should be aware that it's mostly outdoor mismatched deck/patio furniture and plastic chairs. There are a couple tables up under cover on the deck around the kitchen, but we always sit outside under the stars. It's about as far from luxury as you can get, but I can get luxury at home. We'll surely go there at least twice on our trip this June.
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

Sogo's is right next door to Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel, follow Augie's instructions, when you see the hotel sign (3 story white building), it's tucked in a bit behind that sign, it's a little hidden.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Good points TM and Charlie. I should have also mentioned that when were there this past February they were only open Tues-Fri so calling ahead is a very good idea and thanks TM, much better directions than I posted.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

What's up with Shela's Pot? Did she reopen? Where?