Debit cards

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Debit cards

Post by michigan girls »

I think I read somewhere here that debit cards don't always work on STJ, even if they have the visa logo? Just looking to plan accordingly. My husband and I went debt free last year and do not own credit cards, only use our debit cards. Is this going to be a problem?

Also, I know with mainland car rentals this just means they place a hold on extra funds, which is fine but I see at least one rental place on STJ says they won't even take them.

I shudder to think of the amount of cash I will have to bring along to cover all my expenses if I can't use my card for anything. :shock:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I never had a problem using mine there are times that the atm's don't work though
Tom
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

We us our Debit Card (has Visa branding) without problem. We also use same card at the ATM. We bring two with us, in case one account has any issues. You don't have to have tons of cash with you, but you may want to swing by the ATM every couple of days.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

No problems here. Remember to take out a couple hundred at a pop to minimize crazy atm and bank fees.
greta gotrocks

Post by greta gotrocks »

do the grocery stores give cash back on debit cards after a purchase?
JT

Post by JT »

It's a good idea to notify your bank that you are traveling.That way if a flag goes up the bank is not suspicious.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I don't think anyone will give you cash back or maybe I never noticed