Turtle video

Travel discussion for St. John
tigers78

Turtle video

Post by tigers78 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piV1i5L2tLo

Video using inexpensive Kodak 123 camera at Waterlemon Cay December 9.

Know there are plenty of turtle videos but wanted to show that you don't need a really good underwater camera.
go ahead and try it.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

That's fantastic! I'll definitely look into getting this camera. I think the DS 10 and other ones brought up here on the forum are just too far out of my price range for the use it would get. This looks like a great one for a great price. Thanks for posting this!
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Absolutely breathtaking!
Jenn, News of St. John
ms411

WOW!

Post by ms411 »

Thanks so much for posting the video. Two questions:
1. Were you using the Kodak Playsport? I haven't heard of a Kodak 123.

2. Are you an advanced snorkeler? By advanced I mean did you dive down to take the video or were you on top of the water?
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

The video looks good. How do the pictures look?
tigers78

Camera name, etc

Post by tigers78 »

Thanks so much for the compliments. I think turtles are everyone's favorite ( and maybe eagle rays which we did not see on this trip)

by the way - take your camera every time you go out. First day I did not try it and we ran into a school of 12 tarpon at Frances and even though water not that clear that day would have liked to try and photo them.

The camera is Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 - waterproof to 3 meters. At Best Buy for $79 - I got it as Seats on sale for $59 and included a float strap. The still pictures also did well. Only thing is without a viewfinder just had to try and look at screen and take pics. Since digital and plenty of room on the card - I just took multiple pics of each subject and deleted later. Sometimes there was not even a fish in the frame and I wondered why I took that one. Also taking multiple shots got the fish turned differently. I am a pretty good digital photographer but first time trying underwater except one time with disposable (which turned everything blue). This camera has a white balance setting for underwater and compensates fairly well for the real colors. Did work a lot better when I was able to wait until sun out for pictures. Mostly took pics of fish and a few of different coral types. Enhanced a little on the mac when back home but they turned out pretty good right off the camera. The turtle video is not enhanced and I was really pleased to see it. On one of my stills of the turtle he had moved partially out of the frame by the time the shutter opened.

I don't free dive so was limited to fairly shallow water for decent pics. But if you could free dive you should be good to 10 ft and the light there is still good.

The turtle was swimming in about 6 ft of water and I was floating above him. The sun was bright and the vis was real good that day at Waterlemon.

I know there are many much better photographers than I on the forum - but I did want to encourage anyone to try and you might get lucky like i did.
ms411

Post by ms411 »

Well, you've certainly inspired me. I had an older model Kodak underwater, and it broke before I could use it snorkeling. At those prices you can get more than one for backup.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Nice vid...

Here's one using a Kodak Playsport last year at Maho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UuFcEKwP0