Zero checked luggage?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Zero checked luggage?

Post by RickG »

Gang, I'm wrestling with my love of having no checked luggage. Do I leave behind the sunscreen and bug spray and pick them up on island? How are folks coping with this?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I was wondering the same thing Rick. I was going to check with the professionals, like you, closer to our trip.
I'm leaning towards picking those things up down there. I read somewhere that taking vitamin B50 will keep the bugs away, so I'm planning on trying that first anyway.
I would love to just carryon!
Image[/url]
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

No checked bags isn't happening in this lifetime for me...but for you, Mr. Diehard. I would not let having to pick up sunscreen and bugspray there keep me from doing carryon only. Go to Pine Peace maybe it won't be too hideiously expensive.

Is this the just you and the lady trip or you and kids too. I know from your packing list the sunscreen needs are varied if you are taking your kids - so that may make it worth checking a bag.

See how COMPLETELY unhelpful I am.
STJ_gal

Post by STJ_gal »

Well, let's do the math. Bug spray and sunblock aren't overpriced on STJ, are they?

Seriously, though - I give you kudos for being able to pack that well. Being a gal, it is against my nature, unfortunately.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Rick, what about shipping stuff like that down in advance and having connections hold it for you?

Edited to add that it would probably only be worth it if you liked a particular type you could not get on island.
Last edited by liamsaunt on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

My company I arranged my rental through is letting me ship a box to their office beforehand. I planned on putting the bugspray and sunblock in there. Just an idea.
patr

Post by patr »

Hi Rick,

You can pick up sunscreen & bug spray at Lillies, not too expensive. We ran out and had to replenish while there recently.

We did carry-on once when our schedule was pretty tight and we wanted to catch the CA ferry.

However, I was amazed how quickly we received our checked luggage. It was on the carousel before we could complete our paperwork with Budget. We flew in on a Tuesday. I guess this helped.
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JT

Post by JT »

Rick, Last fall was the 1st time Mrs. BT and I checked bags. The TSA crap was the only reason that we did. The year before we went for 3 weeks with just carry on and we didn't regret it, except I missed my pocket knife, and I always bring some eyeglass repair supplies and TSA took all of my pliars. Now, I would probably spend the $20 bucks or so for the lotions when I got there.The thought of lost luggage worries me too much. I mean what a way to start a vacation that would be.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
RickG

Post by RickG »

No kids, just me and NoTanLines, so the sunscreen is less of an issue. One problem, I'm allergic to DEET (that is some serious industrial pesticide) and my lady is a bug magnet. I'm thinking about bringing one sacrificial bag to check. But, seriously, it's a freaking waste to check a bag to hold a swiss army knife and four bottles of liquid. My ladies first trip down here bag arrived a day after she did. It was a stressful start to vacation.

I would go shopping on the island before I shipped stuff down. I always find what I need on the island, I just don't want to have to go shopping before I start relaxing.

Cheers, RickG
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

What do you use for bug repellent if you're allergic to DEET? Have you found something else that works?
Image[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

kygirl wrote:What do you use for bug repellent if you're allergic to DEET? Have you found something else that works?
The picaridin-based products do pretty well. The real pain of the DEET allergy is keeping it off my close friends!!!

Cheers, RickG
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Coppertone Sport had a promotion last year where they attached one or two ounce size containers to the regular size. I brought along four or five of those in the baggie, and was scolded by a TSA agent. I didn't realize it wasn't enough to carry less than four oz. per container - you are not supposed to exceed three ounces in total.

Anyway. This was enough to last us the week, and I'm extremely fair. Thank goodness for all those seagrape trees! We only do carry on unless we're travellling with the whole clan, which involves fancy dinners and such. Left to our own devices, it's as little clothing as we need and the snorkeling gear. It's so nice when we return to EWR to just get on our way.
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

Rick, please don't break your perfect record...no need for any checked baggage. You will be sipping rum punch and not having to worry about lost bags.

p.s. say hi to "Tigger" for me !
jmq

Post by jmq »

TSA carry on rules = 3 oz total of any ONE "liquid"??
Thats important to know if you were thinking of splitting up lets say 9 oz of ONE particular "liquid" into 3 containers and therefore you are at risk of getting the other 2 tossed.
Not doubting it, but would be great if others with first hand knowledge of this can also confirm.
Thanks in advance.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide