Programs through the National Park Service

Travel discussion for St. John
mnfun2bme

Programs through the National Park Service

Post by mnfun2bme »

Hi All,
I'm wondering if you guys could weigh in on the programs the National Park Service offers. Last year we did the water's edge walk and found it interesting. We are thinking of the bird watching walk around Francis Bay Pond as well as the Reef Bay Hike where they drop you off and pick you up on a boat to take you back to the visitor center. Does anyone have thoughts on these?

Thanks in advance!
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I've done the Reef Bay Hike several times with the NPS and it's very worthwhile. You learn so much about the history of the island, its wildlife and native/non-native plants. It's a must-do, in my opinion.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
mnfun2bme

Reef Bay Hike

Post by mnfun2bme »

Thanks, Jumbiegirl!
We'll make sure to get this scheduled. :) Do you remember if you scheduled well in advance? I recall last year we tried to schedule it once we arrived on the island but they were all full. This trip there will be 8 of us and I want to make sure and get it scheduled early. The schedule is not yet out for January, but I'm watching for it!
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I always schedule in advance - especially since I want the boat ride back to town. I'll never go "Up" the trail again! With 8 people you really must schedule as far ahead as you can. I recommend being first in line following the ranger as you can ask questions along the way and get more information than those further down the line.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We made our Reef Bay reservations months in advance (we had 4 people) during high season. A year later, I think my mom went on "stand by" the morning she wanted to go but she was alone.

We have done Friends of the National Park programs that we really enjoyed. These fill very quickly.
nuendelcapecod

NPS programs

Post by nuendelcapecod »

We liked the tour thru the ruins across from Cinnamon Bay campground and the tour around the grounds of the campground which pointed out flora and fauna.