JORGE what's going on at VT? - OT

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

JORGE what's going on at VT? - OT

Post by flip-flop »

Hey Jorge, are you out there? I have a nephew at VT and am curious what the local news is reporting about shootings on campus? We talked to him about 30 minutes ago and at that point he was ok (on lockdown in a girl's dorm - we won't go into that), but now I am seeing reports that there are as many as 3 shooters?

There is nothing on the Wash Post and very little updated on CNN or MSNBC. I was just curious if you heard anything locally.

Thanks! flip
suzi

Post by suzi »

Yea Jorge- give us an update. My niece is there and on lock down in the chem lab. It is scary stuff!
augie

Post by augie »

According to cnn.com:

Police: At least 20 killed

At least 20 people were killed in two shootings when a lone gunman opened fire on the Virginia Tech University campus in Blacksburg on Monday, police said. Police said they believe the shooter also is dead. Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at one of the dormitories where the shootings took place reported "mass chaos."

Shocking and tragic - prayers to everyone with any connection at all to VT.
Come see us!
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

I just got an email from Jorge. He said 28 people. He said ambulances were going everywhere and banks were shut down. The campus was on lockdown. They have the suspects in custody.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

They just reported here 22 dead, including gunman, and 28 wounded and being treated at local hospitals. How tragic. There are just no words. Suzi I hope your neice is ok.

I did hear it was in the dorm being report and in Norris hall which is an engineering building.
mia

Post by mia »

I am so distraught over the shootings this morning; it is such a horrible and senseless tragedy. My prayers and thoughts are with the parents and students....mia
It takes both the sun and the rain to make a beautiful rainbow. --Unknown
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

really awful. senseless.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

mia wrote:I am so distraught over the shootings this morning; it is such a horrible and senseless tragedy. My prayers and thoughts are with the parents and students....mia

I agree! That is just horrible!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I've been working at my desk all morning (I work from a home office) w/out the radio on, and this is the first I heard of it. How tragic! My prayers go out to all the students and staff there, and their families. I'm sure this will emotionally affect students at campuses everywhere.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I just heard about it too. I've got fox news on now. I think the death toll is up to 32. This is tragic. Flip flop, Suzi, have you heard anything?
Image[/url]
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

My son is a senior there, lives off-campus. He was on his way to his job in the Tech library when a bunch of police cars flew by him. He called the library, and that's when he found out what was going on. But I had a sick hour and a half trying to get in touch with him...the cell networks were jammed and we couldn't make contact. I can only imagine what some parents are going through right now. No, I can't even imagine.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Robin -- I'm so glad you heard from him!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

WE haven't been able to get back through to our nephew. The news is saying 32 dead now.

I do know there was a 2 hour lull between shootings - the one in the dorm and the one in the engineering building. They had actually lifted the lockdown and then had to reinstate it (according to our first call w/ the nephew).

My sister-in-law and other nephew are in the car on their way there now. I can't even imagine what they are feeling. My 2nd nephew (brother to the one there) is slated to start there next fall too. It is just too sad.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I'm praying for you and your family flip-flop. I hope that you all hear from your nephew soon and that he is ok.
Image[/url]
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am feeling very confident that he is still ok as we talked to him after the news was breaking and he was safely in another dorm. My heart just breaks for him - this has been a tragic year for Tech - and he just loves the whole college experience and for all the families who will be touched by this tragedy.

Blacksburg is really just a quaint, nice town that happens to have a college with 25K+ students. Very very sad thing to be known for.