What to do in bad weather?

Travel discussion for St. John
tmr10001

What to do in bad weather?

Post by tmr10001 »

Hi All!
I just wanted to check to see what you like to do when the weather in paradise is a bit rainy! It looks like it is going to rain for the first four days of our trip and I wanted to see what other people do during less than desirable weather. I am hoping this is just the usual quickly passing shower. I am perfectly content reading a book and looking out at the amazing view so this by no means will ruin our trip! :D
-Todd
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Let me tell you about the rainy weather! Seriously, last year we were there for 18 days and we had two tropical waves. I think maybe we got two full sun days. Here is what we did:

sit out on the covered deck of your villa with a book
use the rainy time to write in your trip journal
nap on the (covered) villa deck
play lots of scrabble and yahtzee!

If you are looking at the forecast for your upcoming trip and it is saying "showers," don't worry. The USVI weather forecast ALWAYS says that. It's more likely that you will experience a 10-minute shower in the middle of an otherwise sunny day than a full day of rain.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I go to the other side of the island where its sunny! When that's not an option, The Beach Bar has Connect-4 behind the bar.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

liamsaunt, you were there last year in May I think. That's the same time that we were in Tortola and rain, rain, rain, and more rain. UG! :cry: I read 8 or 9 books. We hung out at the villa and if it looked like there was a little bit of sun shining in between cloud bursts, we'd jump in the Jeep and run down to Smugglers Cove until it started pouring again. At least when you're in STJ you can do some shopping in Cruz Bay. The shopping on Tortola was poor to none. But even a rainy day in the islands is better than a rainy day at home, right?

Of all the years we've been going down, that was the worst weather we ever had. I think there were 3 tropical waves that came through right after one another. Of the 2 weeks we were there I think we only had 2 days that were sunny start to finish. "Very unusual" so the locals said. I wanted to smack'em.

We took the ferry over to STJ one day and it was the best day of our trip. The only consolation when it does rain is that the cisterns will fill and everyone will have enough water. :)

Don't be too concerned about the weather forcasts. Usually a passing shower lasts 10 minutes or so or you might have a shower or two during the night.
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

I had just looked at the weather also - its a 60% chance of rain next weekend! Usually the weather guys never have it right that far in advance, so I'm hoping it changes. I know how everyone feels about the cisterns and all, but 60% chance of rain still kinda bumms me out. :cry:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I can say that in all my trips down I have never had a rained out day. But now that I said that it will rain the whole week next time
Last edited by waterguy on Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT

Post by JT »

Unless there is thunder and lightning I still snorkel. Fish don't care about a little rain.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Ron_L

Post by Ron_L »

We had one day that was a rain out for most of the day, one day that it rained most of the afternoon and one day that it drizzled on and off. We snorkeled for the rainy day and went sightseeing for the drizzly day.

There's always one other option...

Drink! :D
...ron

Time to start working on convincing the wife that we have to go back soon!
Chickadee

Post by Chickadee »

Books and naps are great.
We also like to grab a deck of cards and a couple sets of dominoes and head to our favorite watering hole (usually Shipwreck) and spend the day playing games and drinking ice cream drinks.
Jennifer

flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Todd - you have the right attitude. We have been a couple of times in May and once it was a partial washout, but it was still fine! It was our first trip and we went back so what does that tell you?

Often even if the forecast says rain it means passing or morning rain. We spent our rainy times shopping in mongoose, having lunch, or going over to CA for shopping (if the ferry is running), or just hanging out at the house listening to music or reading.

I think the idea of hanging at a local watering hole is a great one I'll have to remember next time!
kirk

Post by kirk »

As others have said, drink, then you won't care what the weather's like :lol:
I remember when i moved to STT twentysomething years ago. the first night it stormed but good. i just hungout at yesteryears drinking, meeting the locals, whom were glad they weren't going to have to have water trucked to their homes. i had a great time throwing darts and doing shots.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Look for rainbows, and if you cant find one, go for the “Cruzan Rainbow”

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
suzi

Post by suzi »

I LOVVVEEEE that pic of the "Cruzan Rainbow"!!! where did you find it???
Have to say, and I am cringing to say it...but we have never had a all day rainy day, in 7 times we have been there. Now I am cursed for saying it out loud.
This last trip, we did not have a drop of rain, not a single drop.
unfortunately, stj is in a drought. Bad for them. On all of our past trips it has rained for a few minutes every day. and a chance to see rainbows!!!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Actually the weather reports are a joke unless it's hurricane season. Chances are you're going to see rain forecast for several days.

Typically it rains at night or there's a spot shower during the day that's a downpour for a few minutes and then stops.

Unless there's a tropical wave parked near STJ (as mentioned above) you can expect there to be some rain, but probably not like you experience at home where clouds park above you all day long.

Either way, we enjoy snorkeling on rainy days-- hey you're going to get wet anyway! Or just hanging out at the villa or a local bar.

Sometimes we head over to STT to do shopping.

No matter waht you'll have fun!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

On a rainy day, there's always the bars! Liquid sunshine!