What passes through at the airport in the cooler...

Travel discussion for St. John
PaminMaine

What passes through at the airport in the cooler...

Post by PaminMaine »

So I was just thinking what I am allowed ( by the airpot security) to bring in my cooler..

could I get away with yogurt cups, hummus, dip , salsa ???
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

If you check the cooler yes. If you plan on carry on, probably not. I was stopped for a can of tuna because it's packed in water.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

I planned on having it as a carry on. BUT my hubby just flew, and he said that they have such an over flow of carry on luggage that they are now having a new " checked carry on lugguage" policy. He had to put in under the plane and retrieve it after flight. Eliminated the carousel, I guess...?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I just hope they don't consider frozen frijoles a liquid/gel!!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think that you need to be very careful given the events yesterday. I would think that the TSA will be on higher alerts.
If it was liquid at one point, even frozen, that is a no. For instance, we froze egg beaters, assuming because it was frozen it would be fine. It wasn't and they took it.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Anything in a metal can is sure to be pulled and looked over. But the only thing they tossed from our carry on was peanut butter. The world is safer now! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
carron

Post by carron »

We're finally giving in and taking a cooler. Ordered the techni ice and soft sided cooler yesterday. I'm also so elated when I see our names over there on the left!!!! 10 more days!!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

PaminMaine wrote:I planned on having it as a carry on. BUT my hubby just flew, and he said that they have such an over flow of carry on luggage that they are now having a new " checked carry on lugguage" policy. He had to put in under the plane and retrieve it after flight. Eliminated the carousel, I guess...?
I have seen this twice in recent months, both time Caribbean flights. Once, the gate agents were pulling people out of the boarding line and taking their carry-ons. The second time, they made an announcement about it being a sold-out flight, there was no more room for carry-ons, put your personal item under the seat in front of you and that they would be coming down the aisle and taking any carry-on that was not properly stored and gate-checking it.
DrToons

Post by DrToons »

I emailed the TSA before I bought my Poller Bear cooler and tech ice to get some clarification on what was and was not allowed in carry ons (the people at Polar Bear were not even sure whether the tech ice would be allowed). What I was told was that as long as it was a solid, it was OK. Any liquids or gels that are not frozen solid will not be allowed.

Of course, I believe its possible to have a TSA agent that doesn't know or interpret the rules in the same way. If that happens to me, I will probably try to explain that I was given different info directly from the TSA, but I won't push too hard (I'd rather give up my tech ice than miss my flight).
Connie

Post by Connie »

msgcolleen wrote:Anything in a metal can is sure to be pulled and looked over. But the only thing they tossed from our carry on was peanut butter. The world is safer now! :wink:

LOL...maybe they were hungry? That's rediculous.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Here's what we do:

Wife- checked bag and small carry-on with essentials/ meds. Me- carry-on for clothing. We have a large wheeled duffel bag (my checked bag) which contains our snorkel gear and a soft-sided cooler filled with frozen meats & cold cheeses- use Techni Ice. We'll also pack cans of tuna and chicken, mayo, snacks, spices, olive oil, etc, into the large duffel- just need to stay 50 lbs or less.

Never had a problem checking food- stays well frozen for the entire journey.

Homeward bound to the states- roll booze in t-shirts and put in soft sided cooler. Never had one break yet.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I would never check my meds. I've had all my luggage stolen and never returned and if you need meds, you need to take them on the plane with you.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

PA Girl wrote:
PaminMaine wrote:I planned on having it as a carry on. BUT my hubby just flew, and he said that they have such an over flow of carry on luggage that they are now having a new " checked carry on lugguage" policy. He had to put in under the plane and retrieve it after flight. Eliminated the carousel, I guess...?
I have seen this twice in recent months, both time Caribbean flights. Once, the gate agents were pulling people out of the boarding line and taking their carry-ons. The second time, they made an announcement about it being a sold-out flight, there was no more room for carry-ons, put your personal item under the seat in front of you and that they would be coming down the aisle and taking any carry-on that was not properly stored and gate-checking it.
He was flying into N.C. He said they made an announcement that said the place was a newer smaller jet and there was less room so you had to go collect a green luggage tag for storage under the plane.. lol
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Xislandgirl wrote:I think that you need to be very careful given the events yesterday. I would think that the TSA will be on higher alerts.
If it was liquid at one point, even frozen, that is a no. For instance, we froze egg beaters, assuming because it was frozen it would be fine. It wasn't and they took it.

We were allowed to take frozen water bottles on last August..security said it was ok as long as they were frozen..I tried it thinking it would help keep our things colder longer and if they made me trash it I hadnt lost that much..it may have changed since...but we did it...hmmm makes me wonder now...esp with our trip coming up.. :?
[/url]
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

JJShaw wrote:
Xislandgirl wrote:I think that you need to be very careful given the events yesterday. I would think that the TSA will be on higher alerts.

We were allowed to take frozen water bottles on last August..security said it was ok as long as they were frozen..I tried it thinking it would help keep our things colder longer and if they made me trash it I hadnt lost that much..it may have changed since...but we did it...hmmm makes me wonder now...esp with our trip coming up.. :?
The took our egg beaters but never found the Leatherman that Chip had accidentally left in the cooler pocket.