Trip Report

Travel discussion for St. John
suzi

Trip Report

Post by suzi »

Back from our long awaited trek to StJohn. This was our 11th trip, and I am lucky enough that I got to go twice in 6 months! Husband and I went this past October 2010, first time alone ( no kids) and able to stay at Gallows. This trip was with our twin college age daughters. We figured that this may be the last STJ trip with them for awhile. We were blessed that they actually WANTED to spend time with their"'rents" and therefore we HAD to go! They love STJ as much as we do.
We stayed at the "concrete jungle", Grande Bay, 2 bedroom, 2 bath. We do enjoy staying in town when it is just our family. Like the convenience of walking to town for restaurants and shopping. And on this trip, the girls could come and go as they pleased. When we are with other family and friends, we love getting a villa. The condo suited our needs... nice privacy, plenty parking, gorgeous work out facility, nice view, price was right. The biggest negative was that the pool and deck area is completely shaded by about 3:30. We have always enjoyed coming back to our rental after a long day beachin' it, and sitting by the pool, catching a sunset, and having happy hour. Definitely could not do that this time. If you need a need a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit close to town, I would def compare Lavender Hill, Grande Bay, Palm Terrace and Battery Hill condos. We have stayed at all, with the exception of Battery Hill. This year, that is pretty much what we did and Grande Bay was the best deal.
We did most of usual beach/snorkel days. Cinnamon ( windy and big waves) , Waterlemon, Maho, Hawksnest, Francis and Salomon. Waterlemon was great as usual. Tons of starfish, spotted ray, and the biggest ol' barracuda I have EVER seen!!! He was humongous...no exageration, he had to be 3 feet long and fat! He looked ancient! Made my day! We said that we had never seen so many ppeople at Waterlemon. It was jammed! Luckily we had gotten there early ( around 10) and by the time we left ( around 1), the beach was crowded and they were still hiking in! Parking lot was overflowing and cars were parked all the way down the road towards Francis. It was beginning of spring break time for colleges, but it was not even close to Easter! Spent the rest of the day at lovely Francis Bay. The best snorkel of the week was at Maho. Lost track of the number of turtles that we saw. Octopus, squid, lobster, rays. So disappointed in the condition of coral at Hawsnest. Didn't see much of anything, coral all bleached out. Still such a lovely beautiful beach. The color of the water is magnificent. and Hawsnest will always have a special place in our hearts, as this was the very first STJ beach we ever went to, about about 13 years ago.
We try to do one new thing every time we come, and this year we FINALLY did the Reef Bay Trail! We had called the Natl Park Service, to sign up for their guided hike, but they were full ( 36 ppeople) and the wait list was already 13 people! Decided to do the hike by ourselves. That means we had to hike the trail back up!!!! Yes, uphill all the way! It was fine tho, and we actually happy we did it alone. Took about 2 1/2 hr going down, and stopping to see the petroglyphs and sugar mill ruins. Ate our lunch on the beach. We were prepared to swim and snorkel, but it wasnt too hot, so we went on our way back up. Only took about 1 and 1/2 hr to go back up. We stopped 3 times to rest., Great workout! That meant we could have more lime n coconut that night! We were all so happy that we had finally done this trail. I had told my family that we could not buy anything with the petroglyph on it, until we had actually seen them. Now we can!
We also hiked Lindquist trail to Salomon. The girls kayaked over and met us there. When we got there, about 10 am, we were the only people on the entire beach. It was heavenly! MOre and more people showed up, and by the time we left there were about 10 groups! Had to be better than Honeymoon, tho...we looked over there and there were about 6 catamarans snorkel boats over there, full of people!!!
More later...
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Sounds great so far! I would love to try Grande Bay on a future trip. I like the idea of walking around Cruz Bay and bar hopping without having to drive home. Thanks for sharing!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Sounds like a great trip! I know exactly how you feel about your kids wanting to spend time with you- we are heading down in five days with our 18 year old and very happy that he wanted to spend Spring Break with us! :)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

Thanks for the trip report, sounds like you had a great time. I need to do that Reef Bay Trail. Just get too lazy on the trips.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

The reef bay trail is awesome! We have done it twice, hiking back up. Glad you did it! can't wait to hear more....
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Great Trip report, especially your information on the Reef Bay Trail and the pool in the late afternoon. Even though I am a newbie, going for my first time in June, the Reef Bay Trail is on my must do list! We are staying at Gallows for exactly the same reasons you stayed at Grande Bay. Nothing beats not having to drive anywhere after having a cocktail! Thanks again......