Trip Report 3/4-3/13

Travel discussion for St. John
el

Trip Report 3/4-3/13

Post by el »

This is our third trip to STJ - our last was 2 years ago . I discovered this forum then and I'd like to thank everyone for all their help.

We stayed at Gallows Point for both trips. This trip , we reserved 1A oceanview, but immediately switched to 1B which had a better view. Sunsets were fabulous everyday. We like being able to drive all over the island, return in time for sunsets on our balcony and then walk to dinner in Cruz Bay at night. We rented our car from Cool Breeze for the second time and they were efficient and accomodating when we wanted to switch from a soft top to a hard top. I would recommend requesting a hardtop if you wish to lock anything in the car while you are at the beach.alt

Snorkeled at Gallows, Maho,Francis,Waterlemon, Leinster,Brown Bay, Haulover North, Caneel, Scotts, Paradise, Honeymoon and Salt Pond. Gibney and Jumbie were too stirred up for good snorkeling, but were both beautiful.

Favorite snorkel of this trip- Salt Pond-most variety - several turtles, 42 reef squid in a row ( yes, I counted), spotted ray ( amazingly beautiful), my first tilefish, trunkfish, trumpet fishand many more varieties. Best spot was towards right near partially submerged rocks.

Great seafans-Haulover North

Brown Bay -beautiful seagrass, whelks, and isolated

Maho- abundance of turtles in seagrass, several with remora attached,stingray, nurse shark, barracuda and more . 2 snorkels, both great

Francis- great beach, great snorkel to point and around . one time kayaked from maho and snorkeled whistling cay and further around Francis Point.

Honeymoon- beautiful beach when not crowded, great sand, good snorkel

Snorkeled Gallows late in day most days, not as good as 2 years ago.

FOOD

Banana Deck, La Tapa with jazz Monday night, La Plancha del Mar, Joe's Barbecue, Lime Inn, Skinny Legs, Deli Grotto, Waterfront Bistro, Sun Dog Cafe- wed. open mic and dinner,Beach Bar

Favorite fancier meal - La Plancha

Medium priced ( by STJ standards)- Lime Inn- great meal prepared more simply than fancier restaurants

Joes- always fun and good

Beach Bar- great tuna bites and tuna down and many nights the music was good

Airport Advice for a Sunday afternoon departure- Purchase food if possible before you get to airport. Line incredibly long. We used a porter, though hard to find, and she did get us to front of AA line and customs line. Be prepared to feel
guilty though!

Sorry for a dry trip report, wish I was as entertaining as many of the fab trip reports i read.

Hope this is helpful. Started dreaming of next year the minute I left. el
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Thanks for the report it is great! I think this is my 11th trip to STJ and I have yet to hang out or swim at Maho. One of my newbie friends is dying to see a turtle so I figured Maho was a must for this trip in June. My BIGGEST fear has been seeing a shark, which I have been fortunate enough to avoid up to this point. After reading your report and Liamsaunt's report I think my luck is bound to run out. I am trying to prepare myself for that day. I keep thinking of all the reports that have had shark sitings that were harmless to help reduce my anxiety. Keep your fingers crossed for me :shock: Thanks again!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Sounds like a great trip. Thank you for sharing it with us!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Thanks for the info! We are staying at Gallows for 10 days in June and are so looking forward to the sunsets and the snorkling! Happy Day!
toni

Post by toni »

Thanks for posting; any trip report is a great one for those of us back at home and missing the islands :)
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Great report- thanks for all of the info!