Duke's Bar-Gallows pt.

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

Duke's Bar-Gallows pt.

Post by parafins »

Does anyone recall Duke's Bar that used to be at Gallows Point?I ran across a postcard on Ebay today that showed the interior of that bar.My guess is that it was from the 70's. Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
hugo

Post by hugo »

That postcard is from around 1964.
Richard "Duke" Ellington, a mystery story writer from New York, bought Galge or Gallows Point from the VI Government in the early 50s and built a small "cottage colony" of rentals. The bar became the hang-out for what we used to call continentals--white people--and produced a lot of martinis throughout the 1960s. In the early 70s, "Duke" retired from behind the bar and a younger, hipper, and more diverse crowd took over. "Duke" is the older of the two men behind the bar in the picture.
The Ellingtons sold the property around 1980 and the present resort was built within a few years.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I remember the happy Hour at Dukes Bar when we would watch the last ferry leave to STT for the day leave at 5 or 6 PM - always a merry group toasting and cheering.
This was in the early to mid 70's.
parafins

Post by parafins »

Here the picture of the bar.This looks like a fun,tropical bar!ParafinsImage
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
Bumblebee2

Post by Bumblebee2 »

I remember having drinks at Ellingtons in May of '93 (our honeymoon). I Googled and found some more information and photos.

http://seestjohn.com/st_john_life/st-jo ... ate-1960s/
hugo

Post by hugo »

The restaurant in the "new" Gallows development was called Ellington's until Zozo's moved in about 10 years ago. The infamous large round table--painted with a map of St. John-- from the original bar, was there at one point , but I don't know where it is now.
Fun? HaHaHahahohohohoheeheeeeeeeee.....
StJohnStyle

Post by StJohnStyle »

I lived in the pink cottage at Gallows in 1979.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

When John and I stayed at Gallows a couple of weeks ago, we noticed that they added a whole section on the history of Gallows Point to the guest book. It was so fascinating. I learned that Ellington bought the entire property for $5000! They had photos of the original "cottages" also. The cottages had running water, but not hot water. Air conditioning, TVs, and radios were not allowed. Really different from what is there now!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.