underwater camera for first time visitors?

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

underwater camera for first time visitors?

Post by Hawaii »

Hi - This will be our first visit with our family this summer with kids 13 and 10. We are also first time snorkelers. I love taking pictures one of my hobbies but will I be able to handle this for the first time snorkeling or should I just get a throw a way camera for first time. I will also be bringing my regular Pentax camera with my zoon lens. We will be on Island for 11 days.
Jost Kidding

Post by Jost Kidding »

I do not think it would be a problem for a first timer to handle a camera. I tried the disposable kind a couple of times but have experienced poor quality pictures. Been thinking about making the investment to buy the Canon D10. Looks like it can be purchased for about $250-260 on line.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I have heard a lot of great things about the D 10 and got one for Christmas- can't wait to try it out next month. I am a newbie snorkeler and from the first time have always had a camera- you will want one- and if you love taking pics, I would spring for a better one than a throwaway. My first camera was bad and the pics were very disappointing- I am excited to have a better one this trip. Have fun!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I can vouch for the Canon D10. I have used it on my last 2 trips and it takes some amazing pictures. Perfect for snorkeling. The topside photos are great too. Just make sure you soak it in fresh water when you return to the villa to dissolve any salt residue.
Rick&Leah

Underwater Camera --Olympus

Post by Rick&Leah »

I've used a "ruggedized" Olympus Stylus 1030 SW for about three years now after using a Nikon Coolpix in a heavy scuba case. My particular Olympus is pocket-sized and is good to about 10 feet, and claims to handle drops onto concrete or freezing weather. I've found it excellent for surface snorkeling, though if you're going to dive with it you might get leakage. I think newer versions are good for deeper depths. Good thing is you don't have to worry about babying the camera at the beach, and can just rinse off the sand or mud.

My experience with underwater photos is that you cannot use/see the viewfinder and are thus essentially "pointing and clicking." Its thus important that you shoot at a high enough resolution that you can zoom in on the part of the image of interest. I've gotten very satisfying (but certainly not magazine quality) shots of critters to include fishies and squid, as well as pictures of starfish or conchs (temporarily) brought up to surface level before being returned unharmed to the bottom. The only problem with the Olympus is that since the lens in in an upper corner, you occasionally get a finger in the frame.
Moose

Post by Moose »

I have tried a number of waterproof cameras over the years and my favorite, for both under water and above, is the Panasonic TS2.

They are releasing the TS3 soon so depending upon when your trip is you may be able to pick up the new version which has better waterproofing and built in GPS.

Buy a float wristband, they are under $10 on Amazon, they come in handy. If you have a few of the silica gel packets that come in shoes and other goods bring them along in a ziplock. If your camera gets water in it put it in the ziplock over night and it should be good to go the next morning.

Don't forget to put sunscreen on your back and the back of your legs!
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. ~ Daniel Burnham
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I will be buying another camera! Wish I was on STJ now instead of home with all this snow/ice/rain we are having over the next two days - yuck!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

If you are on a budget you might want to give this a try- Fuji XP10 @ BJS $99 We have the predecessor Z33WP which takes some pretty good above water shots but we haven't taken it snorkeling yet. I had to resist the urge to just buy it for $99, what the heck? But, I have 3 underwater cameras already... :?
Last edited by Steve S on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The Canon D10 is my new underwater camera. I think it takes very good pictures. Plus I can usually see the viewfinder on this one underwater.

I've used the disposable cameras and they just don't take good pictures. Even after cleaning them in photoshop, you cannot get a good color balance.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I have the Panasonic Lumix also and really like it. It is easy to use. The visibility wasn't great when we were there so it is hard for me to compare to the Canon D10. I don't think you can go wrong with either camera.

The pictures I took out of the water were very clear.

Here are a couple of examples:

xoxo
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Wow - They are great pictures. Will have to research this camera too! Thanks.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Another picture from the Panasonic Lumix TS2. I think this was near Haulover.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. ~ Daniel Burnham