Post by Judi »

villa HAIKU in Chocolate Hole;
villa LA SIRENA at Kiddel Bay;
villa ASTRAL RIDGE in Calabash;
ESTATE LINDHOLM INN in Cruz Bay;
CINNAMON BAY CAMPGROUND in a cottage;
villa ARC DU SOLEIL in the Virgin Grand Estates;
ESTATE CONCORDIA PRESERVE in an eco-tent;
villa VILLA CAROLINA in Upper Carolina???

What did you think?

We have stayed at each, but cannot decide to go again or search for another new spot! (East End, maybe?)

Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Judi,

What did you like best about them? I would pick based on your have to haves and if none of these meet the bill, then pick something new.

Also, are all available when you want to go? Is cost a factor?

We stayed at Estate Lindholm. They are great people, great location and very convenient to town. The downside for us was the paper thin walls. We heard every hacking cough of our neighbor each night and it drove us mad.

We just stayed at Sailview in Coral Bay. (see my trip report) I love it and the price is amazing! No pool or hot tub but we didn't miss it. We were out and about exploring and loving the island.

Good luck with your decision!
NancyB
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have stayed at Cinnamon in a cottage and liked it very much...I would definetly consider staying again. We like staying in a different area each time we go. Catherineberg area is one I want to stay at eventually. With that said, when we start looking for a place I must look at every villa 497 times..and I just cant bring myself to pay big bucks for something I know we wont be at except to sleep and shower..we are always out and going when we are there. thats one factor for us....maybe eventually we will go and spend more time in a Villa...maybe...good luck in deciding..:)
[/url]
Knolmom

Have you stayed at

Post by Knolmom »

Villa Carolina has been on my short list for quite a few years now, but we always end up with more friends joining us so we need 4BR's or we end up on a family trip, where grandpa pays, so we need something more ecconomical.
Just last year, we were days away from putting a deposit on Arc Du Soliel for our 10th Anniversary, celebrating with another couple who were also married in the VI a week later than us. Tragically, our friend passed away suddenly, so Arc went by the wayside and, sadly, we did Ellison by ourselves.
In my opinion,you would have to go far and pay lots more for a villa that could top either Carolina or Arc.
We loved our stay at Lindholm three years ago, but that was just a short prep for a villa the following
week. That year, we stayed at Spellbound, and the pool and views were to die for. Understand this villa has been updated some since we stayed there, which should make it really great.
Have been "eyeballing " the recently remodeled villa One Love, above Rendevous. Seems brand new and think you get a lot for your money.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We would stay at La Sirena again in a heart beat. That villa suited us perfectly. As a matter of fact we where talking about it the other night. We thought its' only drawback was the length of the drives if you were heading for the north shore beaches or town. Other than that you have two beaches within easy walking distance and actually three, since Salt Pond is not that far away and the Lamshurs are just down road. We loved our stay there and spent a lot of time around the cabana.
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

Unfortunately we haven't stayed at any of them ... BUT, we'll be at Arc du Soleil for a week in March. You say that you've stayed there before; any comments? Would love to hear what you have to say about it.
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"
Judi

Post by Judi »

We stayed at the ARC for our anniversary in 2009. It was beautiful!!!
Very spacious for the two of us! We were spoiled in the king size bed; didn't use the tub in the master bath - not necessary when we had a 30ft length/9ft deep pool!!! Very Romanesque bath-like with the columns and steps leading down into it!
Breakfast was served at the round table overlooking the view. Diner my husband grilled. We sat at the bar and celebrated the "happy hours", then ended up down under the pergola and into the pool!!! Harvey and Betty - great hosts!!! - stocked the bar with all Cruzan rums! YUM!!!
The sun reaches the Arc around 11am and stays all day - sunsets over the water; breath-taking!!!
One drawback: you can hear neighbors/people down at the Westin but you have to expect this when you stay in this area of the island.
You will LOVE being at the ARC, Stampede Chuck!
We food shopped at the new St. John market; look up from there to see the big arch that makes up the front of Arc du Soleil!
Make sure you take a day for villa gravity!!!

BillVT, we really enjoyed La Sirena too! It was our first trip without children in 2005. How about that rooster crowing in the mornings? No better way to start the day!!! Did you see any of those white frogs at night? Yes, it was quite a drive from town but we love this side of the island!!!

Knolmom, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I thought about Ellison myself. How did you like it?
Read above for Arc Du Soleil. I hope you get there someday!
Villa Carolina was spectacular!!! We spent 4th of July there 2010! It is the perfect location for driving in either direction on the island. So Quiet! The sunrises were beautiful! One morning we saw deer -2 BUCK in the side yard! The house was very comfortable; we could move right in!!!

Nancy, Estate Lindholm does have paper thin walls! We thought the same thing!!!
A must have for my husband is a pool! Sailview seems so inviting but are there any chances of Mike and Eileen expanding?!!!
We leave for our island February 27; another stay at Concordia in a premium eco-tent!
I would like to go back in December before the high season begins. So much is open right now but I have to wait till we come back in March for husband to put the deposit down!!!
Thanks!!! :D :D :D
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

Thanks Judi, we're really looking forward to our stay at Arc du Soleil. We'll be celebrating our 20th anniversary there. We were on St John 3 years ago and actually stayed just down the hill at South Palm, so are very familiar with the views and sunsets ... spectacular! Villa gravity will definitely set in for a couple of days. By the way, we really didn't notice much noise from the Westin when we were there; just a little bit of construction noise one or two days, and that was it.
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"
Armchair Traveler

Post by Armchair Traveler »

We stayed at Astral Ridge for our first trip and every villa since has fallen short. We have stayed in two other villas and areas because Astral has been booked but we absolutely loved the villa, the views and the area. We would go back in a heartbeat.
Judi

Post by Judi »

Armchair Traveler, we loved Astral Ridge also!!! Did you wake to the rooster's calling in the morning? The pool light didn't work for a night swim - have Susan and Paul fixed it? I love the garden pool!
Judi

Post by Judi »

Happy Anniversary to you and yours! Stampede Chuck! Enjoy the Arc!!!