Pre-trip info, leaving tomorrow!!

Travel discussion for St. John
patr

Pre-trip info, leaving tomorrow!!

Post by patr »

Wooooo Hoooooo!! Count down is nearing the end!!!

Introductions, I am a late forty-something and DH is an almost 50 year-old. We have three grown independent, reponsible children and seven of the cutest most well behaved and adorable grandchildren. (they may read this :wink: ) We married quite young and now are enjoying our freedom.

St John has become my passion (read obsession) and hubby's vacation paradise. He works for a large well-known global corporation as a project leader and travels a good deal and often puts in 12 - 14 hour days. So vacations are relished and greatly needed. I on the other hand work 9-5 for a local government agency. 'nuff said.

We are driving up to Chicago today. It is about a 4 - 5 hour drive, depending how many stops we make. We're on vacation, so there's no hurry.

We are staying tonight at the Westin, gotta love those heavenly beds. Up bright and early tomorrow for a 6:00 a.m. departure on Spirit. I just got an e-mail from them stating to be at the airport two hours early. Do they really open the ticket counter at 4 a.m.?

We expect to arrive in St Thomas shortly after one p.m. I have a Jeep reserved from Budget and this will be our first experience with the car barge.

We will stay at Sailview in Carolina. We are meeting the owner at Skinny Legs. This will be our first experience staying in the Coral Bay area.

Things on the list of want-to-do:
Vie's Beach, Lime Tree Beach, of course the North Shore beaches, snorkel Waterlemon. Breakfast at Donkey Diner, lunch or dinner at Shipwreck, Island Blues, Aqua Bistro, Sweet Plantains, Miss Lucy's. Hopefully we'll get to Cruz Bay for our favorite Lime Inn lobster.

DH is taking a laptop. I may try to post some real-time trip reports.

We're off . . .

:D :D :D :D 8) 8)
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Pat, hope you both really enjoy! Safe travels!

mary beth
njhdrider

Jealous

Post by njhdrider »

I am jealous, let me know how the car barge goes, I am doing it for the first time in July when my family and I go down to St John.
Ride with Pride BKNJIII
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I've only picked up day provisions at Love City Mini Market and Lily's. I'd be curious how adequate they are for fulling most of the grocery needs for someone staying in Coral Bay for a week.

Enjoy your trip!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yeeehhhhh :D :D :D

Pia
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Have a wonderful trip!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm curious to hear your impressions about staying in the the Coral Bay area for the first time. We always stay near Cruz Bay, but there are some really nice villas on the east side of the island.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Have a GREAT TIME
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Hope that you have an enjoyable trip and get to relax,sounds like both of you need it.
As for groceries on the Coral Bay side, I find that it is best to get fresh produce and meats in Cruz Bay. Then I pick up what I need at either Lily's or Love City. The meats that Lily's has are frozen except for boneless chicken breasts. I've tried their frozen snapper and it was pretty good. We stay on our boat and our refrigeration is not great so I cannot stock up on meats and veggies. Somedays the produce is very good others not so good. But for basics the two markets meet our needs.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

Have a wonderful trip!

Only 28 more days for me!
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Wooohooo! Have a great trip!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am excited for you !

Your arrival time is nice and early. For a few trips running, US Air ran early flights and a number to times we landed around 12:30 pm, which was great.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Have a wonderful trip! So we can expect live trip reports, right?

Don't quote me on this, but when I left from O'Hare to go to Florida in Feb., I checked in electronically at 5 am and everything went very quickly. then I just waited for an hour.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Safe travels.

We have flown Spirit from Chicago several times in the last year...Don't know what time their ticket counter opens, but we have always arrived about 1 hour and 15 minutes early and have been fine...

Of course, this is one flight you don't want to miss!
VaGirl

Post by VaGirl »

Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear about it; especially how you like staying on the East side, thinking about that myself for another trip.