Beef wellington anyone?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

Beef wellington anyone?

Post by djmom »

Ok, so maybe out of boredom we are thinking about Beef Wellington for Christmas. Or maybe because we want to cuss at each other like Gordon Ramsey.

Has anyone made it before and any advice? It just doesn't seem difficult. We are very used to cooking beef tenderloin properly...medium rare...we like it red...any hints appreciated!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I have never made it myself, but I used to work in a meat room and one of my customers made it monthly. He always had us take off the outer membrane and wrap the entire beef loin in butcher paper. He would come back 3 days later and pick it up. He swore by this process.
He once brought me a piece and it was the Best Beef Wellington I ever had.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I'm making for Christmas dinner as well. My first foray with it.

God speed to us all.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Good luck Marcia!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Tips:
IT'S RAW!
IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
THIS LOOKS LIKE A DOG'S DINNER!

My mother wanted me to make Wellies for Christmas. Then, I dazzled the crew with a prime rib a few weeks back and now have 10lbs of it sitting in the basement fridge. Prime rib is s much easier and less frightening. I don't like working with anything that involves dough
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am making this recipe for New Year's Eve:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/clas ... ngton.aspx

I am NOT making the puff pastry from scratch. I am using Dufor brand all-butter puff pastry. I am also toying with leaving out the pate. I am including the duxelles though.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Ok, so the three of us take pictures and post to see who will win (DUH, not me!).

I think we are using this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle ... index.html, but I might use different mushrooms. I think the proscuitto sounds good and then it has a green peppercorn sauce that sounded interesting also.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

I am using a combination of recipes and hoping for the best. I am not going to be using any pate, either. Now, I'm thinking about adding the crepes...that sounds fabulous.

We will have to share our successes (or failures, should there be any).

Good luck to all.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

I have a recipe for individual beef wellingtons that I've used for years, that NEVER fails. Unfortunately, I don't have it here with me at work. OK... I'll admit it... I "sometimes" check the forum at work. :shock: I'll post it after the weekend. Too late for Christmas, but maybe in time for someone's New Year.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Kathy,

I considered doing individual ones but changed my mind because there are six of us and some will want more than others... (I'll have a taste, 19 year old son will eat a ton.) To solve the other issue around here about doneness, I have ordered two, 2#, 6" long, center cut tenderloins. I'll put one in a little before the other for those who prefer medium vs. medium rare.

However, I will want your recipe, whenever you get a chance.

Thank you!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Just wondering how those who made this for Christmas made out. Any tips or changes you would recommend for mine on Friday?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt wrote:Just wondering how those who made this for Christmas made out. Any tips or changes you would recommend for mine on Friday?
Yes! I have a couple of suggestions.

Definitely make the Madeira sauce in advance (except for the last step of adding the additional butter). It was fabulous.

My crepes were too thick. I made a bunch of them the night before (yes, do these in advance!) and selected the ones I wanted, as I prepared the wellington, and chose unwisely. Next time, I'd go with the thinner ones. And, I'd do a better job of cutting them to fit. I had a little extra hanging off when rolling the dough and that was a dumb mistake.

I would probably add the pate next time to the duxelles. I enjoyed the flavor of the duxelles but pate would have really made it fabulous. (this is not a big deal)

I buttered my baking sheet too much which caused some burning of the underside.

This dish is absolutely best done over a two day period. Duxelles, Madeira, Crepes, trimming of meat (and getting a good sense of it's size), all done a day before helped tremendously.

Good luck!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks! I am simmering the stock for the Madeira sauce now, won't be done until 8 PM and I started at 12:30. I am now re-contemplating the pate...hmmm.

Thanks for the crepe tip. Very helpful!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

The Madeira sauce was a long, long process but so incredibly worth every minute of it. It's not complicated, just time consuming.

Are you able to procure(decent)pate easily? I would not hesitate on that. It will really add to the flavor of the duxelles. I used baby bellas for my duxelles, rather than the large portas. What are you using?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am using de-gilled portobello mushrooms in the beef wellington. I am also doing a vegetarian "wellington" using a mix of wild mushrooms--hedgehog, chanterelle, blue foot, and porcini (that's for me since I don't eat red meat).

I can get good pate. I actually have a container of Hudson Valley pate de foie gras in the fridge right now. Should I use that, do you think? Or would it be too rich?