Need very affordable trip options!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nic in KC

Need very affordable trip options!

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi All,

This year J and I are buckling down and really trying to make sure we have enough saved for adoption a newborn in the US. We are currently on the wait list, but since we want more than one child, we need to save as much as possible. So, we are cutting out vacation spending.

Problem being, vacation planning is what brings us joy. So, we are in need of very affordable ideas that will get us out of Missouri. We've done the affordable trips in MO. We are willing to drive as far as 12-13 hours away. Prefer nothing super commercialized, more peaceful, nature oriented. We'd love to keep it under 1500 for lodging, gas and groceries/eating out. We'd look at going in the late spring/early summer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nicolle
jmq

Post by jmq »

If you're willing to drive that long, the eastern side of the Rockies would be in range - the college town of Boulder and the charming Estes Park at the entrance to Rocky Mt National Park.
Or, tour the beautiful high desert of northern New Mexico. We stayed in some reasonable B&Bs in the Santa Fe and Taos areas. Great food in New Mexico too.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

don't have any ideas but good luck with your adoption process :) will be thinking of you!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Terry

Post by Terry »

Well, if you're looking at the Rockies, give me a PM. We have a huge home with guest accommadations, or can suggest reasonable lodging. We're 10 minutes from Boulder and 30 minutes from Estes Park. Lots to see and do and believe me when I tell you that Boulder is a world within itself. You will feel that you stepped into a different country which makes people watching a spectator sport.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hi Nicolle,

I know that the Great Smokie Mtns./Blue Ridge Parkway is a long way for you but, if you ever come that way give this Inn a try ( www.fryemontinn.com). Tom and I have stayed here on our anniversary almost every year for the last 23 years. It is located in a small town in NC called Bryson City. Very close to the Parkway, Cherokee Indian Reservation and Fontana Dam on the TN. border. Also a short drive takes you to Gatlinburg TN. The cost of the room at the Inn includes your full breakfast and dinner each day. I can tell you that the food is incredible and the owners and employees are super nice! So many places and things to do with day trips. The scenery and mtns. are beautiful.
Good luck with your plans and God bless.

Sherry
" I believe there's Magic here...."
mkb

Post by mkb »

This is barely out of MO and you may have already been there, but Eureka Springs, AR is one of my favorite places. There are quaint B&B's and Inns, as well as historic hotels. It is quiet, peaceful and not commercialized.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

How about the Grand Canyon? Or New Orleans? Both would be great choices in the spring! :D
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Hi all!

These are all great choices. Margo, you and my brother must be on the same page, he suggested the same two places tonight and we've never been to either. I'm going to check out the other links suggested too. We have been to the Smokies once and loved it! We haven't ever been to Eureka Springs so it's definitely still and option while being nice and close.

We love the Rockies so that would be another option, Terry, you may get a PM! I've been to Estes a few times, but never Boulder! Hmmm!

We are still welcoming any other ideas and I'll let you know what we decide as we get further along.

Thanks for the well wishes!
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

I really think Hilton Head Island/Savannah is a nice choice if you want beaches and nature. Savannah is about 40 minutes from HHI by car, and has a lot of history. Really cool little city.

HHI is a small island, but has lots of "island" type hangouts, small bars, beach bars, etc. It is very nature oriented. In fact, the island doesn't allow high signs and everything has to fit within a regulated color scheme. There are really affordable rental condos on VRBO. I love staying in a "plantation" like Sea Pines, renting bikes and just riding everywhere. The island is covered in bike trails. Great restaurants, great people, all of the comforts without feeling overdeveloped.

Once you two have a little one, HHI is a good place to remember for family vacations. We took our son when he was 6 months old, strapped him in a bike trailer and went everywhere with him! He loved it.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

This depends on airfare - we stay on the gulf coast of Florida in the St. Pete Beach area when we visit the in-laws. Last trip, we rented a beachfront condo (3br/2bath) with full kitchen and large patio for $150 per night, smaller units were around $100.

St. Pete Beach is funky and there are state parks in the area. The beach is great for walking.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Door County in Wis.
Tom
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

No real ideas, but Door County in Wisconsin is nice and we visit there at least once every year.

But, I just wanted to say congratulations on your adoption plans - I am the adoptive mother of two boys. We ended up adopting biological brothers when they were 5 mos. and 2 1/2 years old - instant family!

All my best to you!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I was going to suggest the Smokies as well. For a little closer to home, Memphis would be fun too.

Arkansas is beautiful. I went there several years ago and really enjoyed the scenery.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

mkb wrote:This is barely out of MO and you may have already been there, but Eureka Springs, AR is one of my favorite places. There are quaint B&B's and Inns, as well as historic hotels. It is quiet, peaceful and not commercialized.
My thought exactly. There is a lot to see if you want to do that. If you would rather hang out, you can do that too.

If you come to Eureka Springs, let us know. We'll have a mini get-together.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....