Villa Jumbie v. Moonswept

Travel discussion for St. John
edsfam

Villa Jumbie v. Moonswept

Post by edsfam »

Hello, does anyone have any information on either of these villas? Just trying to contrast and compare. Thanks
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Villa Jumbie is brand new so you're going to have a tough time finding a review. I've seen it from the outside and it's gorgeous - great location; very close to everything in Coral Bay. I've never seen Moonswept so I can't compare...
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I Googled Villa Jumbie and came up with nothing. Can you give me a web address where I can find it? I'm always looking for the "perfect" villa and we love Coral Bay.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I can't find Villa Jumbie either - can you post the link. Randy where is it located???
Realtor - St John Properties
edsfam

Post by edsfam »

It is here on vrbo.
http://www.vrbo.com/304755

Looks quite nice.

The owner said you go to the top of Sea Grape Road and then come back down to the villa.

I have been to St. John 10 times and have always stayed in Coral Bay but have never driven up Sea Grape Road.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

it looks pretty. We stayed at Anchorage Aweigh in April and every day drove past a villa that was under construction. I wonder what that will be?
I don't think this is it though ... don't think they could be completed so fast ;)
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Pia

Post by Pia »

I know exactly which one it is now :)
OK the view from Moonswept is (imo) much better as you are much, much higher. Also I didn't like that you can't use the washer and dryer at Jumbie unless you are staying for 2 weeks !!!!

Pia
Pia

Post by Pia »

I forgot to add that I like the idea of a solar heated pool at Moonswept - a big plus depending on the time of year :) I do have to add that the road to Moonswept however is longer, dirt and (last time I was up there) quite gutted but as long as you go slow you are fine and the good thing is it is not really steep just a steady climb.

Pia
edsfam

Post by edsfam »

Ok, now I might be a bit confusted. I referred to the Road to the villa as Sea Grape Road after looking at this villa location map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 2&t=h&z=14

So is there another road called Sea Grape HILL? Or does the Sea Grape Road lead to villas on Sea Grape HILL?

Thanks.
edsfam

Post by edsfam »

Pia, thank you for the great info. I did note the restricted use of the washer/dryer at Jumbie. I also totally understand the need for some sort of heating for some of the pools on St. John.
Thanks again for you input!
djmom

Post by djmom »

We have been to Moonswept twice and like it quite a bit. The road is really my only negative about the place. Do know also there is a caretaker that lives underneath the rental portion of the house, but he is laid back and will leave you alone unless you want advice, etc...

We are also excited about the solar heated pool, which is a new feature.

Not so excited about the lack of maintenance on the road (Calabash Boom). It was pretty rutted last time. We tolerate it and the view is spectacular. It is supposed to be repaired but I heard there has been a delay (don't know how long).

Feel free to PM me about the villa or the road. I really like the villa. The road could be an issue if someone had back problems. There is a lot of side to side motion, but you don't feel like you are teetering at the edge of a cliff either. I don't really like going on the road in heavy rain and we avoid it if we can.

The the bumpyness does seem to go on and on....if someone in your group is a "glass half empty" person they are going to complain about it, alot. If they are a "glass half full" person, they will be awed by the view. It is definitely an amazing one and I get up early to enjoy the sunrise. The photos don't do it justice.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

edsfam - There's only one Seagrape Hill, and yes, Google labels the road up the hill as Seagrape Road. In reality, the road leading up the hill is private, and it has no official name, though Seagrape Hill Road would be a logical choice! To my knowledge, there is no other Seagrape Road on STJ.
firecat

Villa Jumbie

Post by firecat »

Thanks Randy. Villa Jumbieis up and running!
firecat

Pia

Post by firecat »

Your point has been taken.