Anyone a kayak expert?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mindehankins

Anyone a kayak expert?

Post by mindehankins »

We talking about taking up kayaking as a family activity and are starting to look around for kayaks. We'd be doing short trips on small rivers and creeks, and lakes...mostly flatwater but they guys are pushing for some rapids as well.
I'm guessing the wider the boat, the more stable, and that long touring kayaks wouldn't suit us. Am I correct in that?
Any other helpful info you'd like to divulge? Blaine's got a bee in his bonnet which will likely be followed by a kayak or two mounted on our car. I'm the family researcher....
Gear we must have, as the weather gets cooler?
New topic with lots of fun research to do.
We'd appreciate any help!
Thanks!
P.S. Toni, do you and hubby kayak by chance?
Last edited by mindehankins on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I wouldn't say that we are "experts" but we just researched this very issue last weekend and ended up buying two kayaks.

We live on a lake in Wisconsin that has several wetlands and channels. We wanted stable, flat water kayaks that would also be fairly swift...hybrids, if you will. We have a store near us that specializes in kayaks and, after listening to our various needs, they recommended the Pongo 120, made by Wilderness. Here is the link:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/produc ... reational/

We think they are great. From our shopping experience, we learned that it was worth it to go to a store that knows what they are selling, as opposed to a chain sporting goods store. The latter could probably sell you something cheaper, but it is likely that you would end up with crap and be unhappy.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Minor correction, we bought the Pungo 140, not the 120. Our sales guy said the 140 would have less side-to-side movement with each paddle stroke, i.e., more efficient on flat water.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks! I'll take a look. We do have a small outfitter locally, and were looking there, last weekend. We noticed the prices were all 2-3K. Then Blaine went on Dick's Sporting Goods website and found them to be $300-$800... That's when I got involved, to find out what we really needed!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We have owned two kayaks for a long time. We live on a very calm river. Ours have wide, stable cockpits... they're called "Walden Paddlers"--and they are perfect for paddling up and down the river....VERY stable. I can easily fit a child or small dog in the cockpit with me.

We brought them to an ocean house once and they were a challenge on the ocean, but a good workout and I was able to use them with no problem.

Of course, if I lived on a wilder river, or on the ocean, I would buy a narrower unit with pedals and a rudder.

The other day my husband mentioned he'd seen a new kind of kayak that had bicycle type pedals in it to help you go faster.... he seems to want to get a new spiffier kayak.

The one thing I wish we hadn't done when we bought ours was to not buy the covers that go over you and the cockpit when it rains. They're a nuisance to get on, and after a while we never used them. Even if it rains, not much gets in the boat.

Always store them upside down, of course.

have fun!
djmom

Post by djmom »

I also would check out Craigs List for used kayaks, especially if you are just getting started. To me that would make sense, especially since there isn't much that can go wrong with a kayak.

I'm a little jealous...would love to have one.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Minde,

We went through the same thought process. Originally, we were going to buy them at Dick's due to the price. But, we learned that even the top end kayak at Dick's was not nearly the quality of the low end one at our local store. The lower price ones that Dick's sells have thinner hulls and are of decent, not great, quality.

We ended up paying $800 each for the ones we ended up with. That was a $100-200 more than we originally planned, but that didn't seem so bad when you consider having better quality in the long run.
toni

Post by toni »

Sorry Minde, we don't kayak. Have fun in your research. :)
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Don has one. I'll get the details in the morning. I'm pretty sure he paid between $700 - $800 at REI. It's sitting on top of his SUV - all ready to go in the morning.

He uses it on local lakes and ponds to fish.
janet
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

HI Minde,

Don's kayak is a 12ft Pungo Classic. He paid $400 since it was a prior year model (I think we bought it in May, 2008 for his birthday). ~700 - $800 would be the going price for something new.

He said there are some new models that are more stable and a bigger cockpit. He thinks Pungo, Old Town(?) and LLBean sell good quality kayaks. He thought you may be able to find Pungo at Dicks.

He's been really happy with it.

Happy Paddling!
janet
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks, everybody! I'm watching Craigslist everywhere within easy driving distance, and will research models if/when they show up there. We're hoping that people will decide they haven't used them all summer, and should sell them. They don't have Pongo at Dick's; I looked.
If we don't find anything on Craigslist, we'll start looking for dealers within driving range. Our only local dealer is the one without a rig less than $1800, probably because we live in an area where lots of people with lots of money spend their summers.
Til then we'll keep renting. We do have cheap rentals!
loria

Post by loria »

minde, check out paddling.net -- you will find reviews for touring and WW kayaks as well as classifieds for used boats and such--it's a great source of information--
we kayak all the time, but we do ocean (touring) boats so can't help you out on other boats--but DO check out a bunch of boats before you buy.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
madness

Post by madness »

Hey Minde - We too are in western NY and we bought our kayaks used from Mountainman in Old Forge NY. We bought them in late September 2-3 years ago. They have an end of season sale and sell much of their inventory. We have 2 Pungos a 120 and a 140.

If you are interested in that type of route, look at their website and you can put a deposit on them and reserve them. We bought paddles and other items elsewhere.

Good luck!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Minde - Kayaking is a very popular activity here in Connecticut and most of the dealers in my area have kayaks that you can try out before you buy. That might be another thing to check out with the dealers in your area.....do they have different models available to try so that you can actually see/feel the differences?