Tourists harassed by gangs of locals on main road!

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Tourists harassed by gangs of locals on main road!

Post by Gromit »

Tourists are being repeatedly harassed by gangs of locals on Centerline road.!!!!

At first these locals were content just to hang out on the side of the road and watch the tourists drive by in their shiny rented jeeps. Occasionally, they would look up and take notice.

Visitors would smile at them in attempt to be friendly but they would only look at them with a blank stare go back to their weed.

Then at some point things seemed to escalate. These roving gangs have figured out that they can get something out of unsuspecting tourists if they can get them to slow down.

So their tactics have started to get more sophisticated, often sending one member of the gang out into the middle of the road to slow an oncoming vehicle.

Once stopped they will harass innocent tourists for anything and everything they have handy to give them.

They even go so far as to stick their head in your jeep to look around for anything they might want to take.

One brave tourist (our own Vicki H) managed to get a few shots of one of the gangs of offenders-- thank you Vicki for not being afraid to show us these gangs for what they really are-- total animals!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42427255@N ... 9602287524

Middle of the road tactic
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42427255@N ... 602287524/

The saddest part? They are even starting to get the really young ones hooked on these tactics.

http://www.stjohnvirealestateblog.com/?p=1464

Visitors to STJ should use caution and avoid giving into the the demands of these complete Asses!
Last edited by Gromit on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
JessRobinson

Post by JessRobinson »

Too funny!! :lol:

I hope to see those very same troublemakers on Centerline Road tomorrow as the family is flying into STT tomorrow afternoon and making our way to Concordia for a week-long stay on STJ.

We're just a but excited.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

That's great! You will have a blast!

And heed my previous warning about the mongoose'dem making off with food at the beaches.

You've been warned!! :lol: 8)
MIke

Post by MIke »

That's it.Dang it.You will not fool me again.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Girl - you had me going! I clicked on all those links and was ridiculously relieved. We have friends going in less than a week, and I've been almost maniacally enthusiastic about how much they'll love STJ. They'll love the donkeys... even with their weed addiction.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

hysterical! Love it!
JessRobinson

Post by JessRobinson »

BTW Gromit, another Northern Virginian here, Fairfax and Rte 50 area. Just so you could get a local vibe...
gobucs

Post by gobucs »

LOL
I really dont mind bien stopped by those asses :D
carron

Post by carron »

That was great!! I was really getting worried!!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

On a serious note, tourists are advised NOT to feed the donkeys on island.

On the whole they are pretty gentle creatures and generally will stay out of the way (when they feel like it).

However, because folks have begun feeding them they are starting to associate people with food thus creating an environment which allows them to become more and more aggressive without negative consequences.

I see more and more pics of Donkeys with their heads literally inside people's jeeps. :?

And it's all fun and games until they nip someone or start to chew on the upholstery. :shock:

Be careful out there and DON'T FEED THE DONKEYS (no matter HOW cute they are!) :wink:
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Too funny! :lol:
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

This one, anyway,
doesn't want your money!!! This is what he spit out (taken off of my LAP)
Larry

Post by Larry »

I think these fake alerts to watch out for locals are racist. I realize you're making a joke, but you definitely evoke sensationalist interest and momentary racism as the strong majority of locals are not white--while this forum is mostly white.

The anatomy of these posts is to create worry that the locals (who are not white) are thieves and thugs and then with minor subtlety you link to pictures of mischief making animals. Regardless of how funny you think it is, you are fostering racist thoughts. Just letting you know, I don't think its thoughtful or kind.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Ha Ha Ha! Too funny!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Larry, while I can see what you're saying, I didn't think it was racist in any way.