Dependable Auto Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
Tim from Chicagoland

Dependable Auto Rental

Post by Tim from Chicagoland »

I thought I read in a prior post that they provide assistance, albiet limited, if you have mechanical problems on STJ. Is this true? If so, do they have a preferred mechanic and/or towing service lined up on island? Do they pick up the tab for issues such as transmission failure, ruptured brake lines, power steering failure, a/c going out, etc.? Or is everything on me, as I suspect. Not expecting the need, not worried, just like to know in advance.

Tim
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

I just talked to Dependable yesterday. They do NOT provide assistance on STJ but Discount does.
Tim from Chicagoland

Dependable

Thanks. I have reservations with both. Did you rent with Discount? Dependable gave me a better rate but I'll go with Discount now.
So, did you send in your deposit? Don't worry about your choice. I've been renting houses all over for the past 25 years & stopped worrying 20 years ago. Some dissappointments. Never major problems. Yet we never let it affect us having a good time. When you research extensively, which it appears you did, you'll rarely end a with a disaster.

Tim
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

I haven't booked yet as out trip is not until next Spring but Dependable also gave me a better rate. But the mechanical assistance that Discount offers plus they fact they they are the only company that responds to my emails give them the edge. Though I have also heard graet things about Dependable. But the first words out of the lady at Dependable's mouth were "Take the vehicle to St. John at your own risk"
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Oh and thanks for the villa reassurance :)
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Kristen- just a word of gentle advice regarding basing your selection of on island businesses because some don't get back to you right away via e-mail.

Many transactions take place on island with just a handshake and a general understanding. And they will do everything possible to ensure that you are taken care of. They generally do better via the phone if you need that reassurance.

Things just don't work the same way there that they do here at home.

Like you, I am very detail oriented when it comes to travel plans and it's always an adjustment for me as well. See my post from a couple of months ago about renting a car on Jost :lol:

Case in point-- some folks choose to rent from Budget on STT because they are afraid of renting thru a mom and pop type car company. Budget's system sends an e-mail confirmation right away and follow up with the renter. Folks arrive and there are no cars, they are overcharged or they have no copy of a reservation even though the customer has proof.

To the contrary, if you have a problem with a car on island it is often the owner, a family member or trusted employee who will come and take care of you to get the problem fixed because it is their reputation on the line and they take pride in their business.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't judge the quality of service from an island business based on our mainland standards and you might be pleasantly surprised. :wink:
*Another fine scatterbrained production
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Thanks Gromit. As long as I see good, consistent reviews I have no problem renting from a local place and after speaking with someone on the phone at dependable, I would rent from them as my husband can fix most automotive issues. I am all about the best deal most of the time :)

It wasn't just Dependable though that didn't respond..it was Amalie and a couple others, and this was after 3 attempts. I understand island time but this has been over a month. During our first visit, all of the STJ companies responded to my inquiries.

It's not that I don't think they will offer a good car and service, I just like to be able to interact with someone and know if I have a question, I can get a response at some point.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

one last thing...I asked the lady at Dependable how far in advance should reserve the car for a May trip and she said April. That seems a little late to me. What would you all recommend? I may just go ahead and do it now and then confirm closer to the date.
Tim from Chicagoland

Reserving vehicle

I reserve my vehicle right after the villa is reserved. It costs you nothing up front. Better safe than sorry. I can't imagine waiting a month prior, then having to scramble & possibly settling for something other than what I wanted.
jake

Post by jake »

We are scheduled for next May and I already rented a vehicle from Dependable (just FYI, Budget could not confirm a vehicle that far in advance.)
We've rented from Dependable 4 times, taken the car to STJ each time with no issues (broke down in STT with immediate response/replacement vehicle, though...!); minimal risk.
As opposed to going to STT in the first place, which is now a risk that I am weighing; I usually had no fear because I was cautious...but then so was the little girl from Puerto Rico.
Jake