Sun on Cinnamon Bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
jofus

Sun on Cinnamon Bay?

Post by jofus »

I'll be staying at the Cinn. Bay campground the first week in Nov.
Anybody know around what time I can expect the sun? I know I'll be waiting for it since I'm usually up btw 5-6. Thanks!

jofus
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

We stayed at Cinnamon in January. I found that there was sun on the beach fairly early but none at the campsights. Even during the day we often found it necessary to use a flashlight in the tent. I am an early riser but the tents were so dark after the first couple of days I slept later than usual.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

the Naval Observatory allows you to insert the date time and location and will give you the sun and moon data for that day. I always check it to keep track of full moon patterns (for Miss Lucy's etc).
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... one-day-us

I plugged in Cruz Bay St. John for November 1, 2010:

Sun and Moon Data for One Day
The following information is provided for Cruz Bay, St. John, Virgin Islands (longitude W64.8, latitude N18.3):

Monday
1 November 2010 Atlantic Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 5:56 a.m.
Sunrise 6:19 a.m.
Sun transit 12:03 p.m.
Sunset 5:47 p.m.
End civil twilight 6:09 p.m.

MOON
Moonset 1:32 p.m. on preceding day
Moonrise 1:35 a.m.
Moon transit 7:57 a.m.
Moonset 2:14 p.m.
Moonrise 2:34 a.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 1 November: waning crescent with 26% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

Last quarter Moon on 30 October 2010 at 8:46 a.m. Atlantic Standard Time.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
jofus

Post by jofus »

Thanks Gromit,
I'm aware and have access to all that info, I'm wondering when sunlight hits Cinn Bay specifically. I've always been on the island in Feb. and stayed down by Kiddle Bay. Little Lameshure has full sun by 7:30-7:45 :D while the northshore beaches didn't have full sun till after 8:45 some 9 :( because the sun needs to get over Ajax Peak/ Borduex Mt. I'm normally up btw 5-6 so I'm always waiting for the sun. The no-see-um seem to be especially evil :twisted: during that time in between dawn and full sun. I love walking the beach at those early hours but have to wear protective clothing against those little blood suckers, they're drawn to me like a magnet!

jofus
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I see what you're saying. I also know that it changes depending on what time of year you are on island.

I guess unless someone is clocking it and documenting it will be tough to be certain.

Good luck!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
jofus

Post by jofus »

I was just hoping maybe someone who'd been there around that time of year may have an approximation for me. I'd been going thru some pics of trips past and checking the shooting data. I have pics of maho and hawksnest taken btw 8:15-8:45am and the sun is just starting to hit the sand. In the past we never bothered to go to the north shore beaches before 9, hope I don't have to wait that long for the sun in Nov.!
Having always stayed in secluded villas on the south/east side of the island, a week at a cottage on Cinnamon is going to be a whole different experience for us and one we're looking forward to as a new adventure.
We've always been "isolationists" on our previous trips, so staying at the campground with no vehicle will be quite the change for us. But we camp alot where we live in the northeast and making new friends and socializing at the campground should be fun.
And amazingly enough,,during our past 6 trips to STJ we never once set foot on Cinnamon :shock: ! Being we were always there in High season the "crowds" detered us from visiting that particular beach. I've only seen it from the water while passing by in one of Noah's Little Arks.