Spirit Air - be honest with me!

Travel discussion for St. John
NCSue

Spirit Air - be honest with me!

Post by NCSue »

I'm sort of panicking a little about our Spirit Air flights which are for Jul 5..........since they MIGHT strike on June 12! My fear ......that after they strike (IF) on the 12th - I will no longer find fares that are not super high. Should I go ahead and book now on our favorite US Air flight out of Charlotte - spending yet ANOTHER $2400 or wait it out?
augie

Post by augie »

That's a tough call - how much cheaper are the Spirit tickets vs USAir?
Come see us!
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Augie - we originally booked with Spirit because they were WAY cheaper than US Air - by about $1000 (I am buying 5 tix). However, now the flights are very similar in cost. I'm afraid I'll be out the money if I buy on both airlines - what if they DON'T strike or settle before we go! The up side would be that I would have tickets I could use for next year's trip!
augie

Post by augie »

If you can buy both sets and use one of them next year without penalty, that might be the way to go.

Other than that, I'd probably wait it out. If it gets within 24 hours of the threatened strike and it's not resolved, I'd put a "hold" on the USAir tix, assuming they won't have drastically gone up by then.
Come see us!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

This is a tough one!

I would probably wait it out and hope that any issue is resolved quickly.

Reading through the grievances and how long this has been going on (nearly 3 years) it's tough to say.

The strike date is June 12. That gives you a little over three weeks until your trip.

A lot can happen in three weeks.

I say wait it out but have a contingency plan.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

(putting aside everything else)
You figured out how to do Spirit from RDU? I've pondered it but it seemed like WAY too much trouble. You're not driving to Myrtle, are you?
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Pip - we are driving to Myrtle. We like to start our vacation a day early - usually we drive to Charlotte and spend the night. Then do that wonderful flight on US Air out of there. It really is turning out to be kind of a pain. BUT - we get to do Jul 4th in Myrtle - which should be crazy!
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I wrote to Spirit asking them to come to RDU. they told me they have no plans to do so. The only other way is to take SAW to FLL and then switch airlines and crap. And, it's not possible.

We've done the Delta flights because we've always had miles. I dread the 2012 trip and having to find tickets.

good luck with Spirit!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We are booked with them on the 16th. We have decided to wait it out to see what happens...Im sure if they do strike they will issue vouchers and we will just reschedule. I had looked at US Air and it was going to be about 2000 for just 4 of us...and if Im going to pay that...I'd like to stay longer than what we currently have planned. I guess all we can do is cross our fingers and wait...Keep me posted if you hear anything please...:)
[/url]
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

We are booked on 7/28 with Spirit out of Myrtle. We are waiting it out. The tickets were a lot less than the CLT non-stop that we love so much. So, 3 hrs of driving to Myrtle vs $120 more per ticket. I did forget about the seat assignment charge which is an extra $60 roundtrip but still saving money. A side note, does anyone know of a decent motel close to the Myrtle Airport? We don't get in until 9:30 pm and really aren't up for the 3 hr drive back to be up at 6 am for work. I'd rather take the next day off and spend the night on the fabulously tacky Myrtle Beach grandstrand!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Greyhoundmom,
There is a Red roof inn thats near by...I have not stayed there but if the pics are accurate it looks fairly nice. We usually just get up early and drive down as we usually fly out from MYR. However last yr we had enough points for a free stay with Choice Hotels..we choose the Best Western near by..so I figured what the heck..and booked it..It was terrible...I was glad we werent staying there the whole week. It was close by...just a cpl miles away..but I cant remember exactly where it was...but you def dont want that one...I am looking as well because this yr there are 5 of us and I dont wanna have to get everyone up so early to make a 8:10am flight. Plus we need a refrigerator with a freezer for our meats etc. We are about 2 hrs central from Rdu Clt and Myr...and I have checked for our dates and the prices were wayyy out there..for the amount of time we will get to stay..only 6 days...even my cost using Expedia's suppliers was at least 500 each...Guess all we can do is wait and see what happens...
[/url]
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

JJ, thanks! We booked the Red Roof for our flight back. It's only 4 miles from the airport and it will be good to sleep before the drive home to Columbia!
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Reading this thread makes me appreciate my relatively cheap fare competition out of DFW. You guys have it tough. So sorry, but remember the Prize! STJ!
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

I know - I try so hard to remember what's waiting at the end! I think we've decided to roll the dice and wait til midnight on June 12th - which is supposed to be their date to strike. We've got plans A, B, and C in the wings just case!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

greyhoundmom wrote:JJ, thanks! We booked the Red Roof for our flight back. It's only 4 miles from the airport and it will be good to sleep before the drive home to Columbia!
Your welcome...glad to help...I found a Extended Stay thats supposed to be close by..and of course it has a fridge...maybe its not a dive...guess we'll see...assuming Spirit stays on track...Im starting to get nervous about it...but I guess what ever happens...happens..
[/url]