How'd you get here?

Travel discussion for St. John
JT

How'd you get here?

Post by JT »

Many of you have been going to STJ much longer then we have. I wish that we had seen the STJ of the 60's or even the 80's. For us, it only started about five years ago, though we have been fortunate to have been down for at least two weeks a year since that first trip. The first time we went, I had never really even heard of STJ. I was a workaholic that rarely took a week off, much less two.Suffering from the classic case of "burn-out" my wife just insisted that I take two weeks off and go somewhere. Get out of Dodge. She suggested Ireland, or maybe France. Truthfully, the idea of flying to Europe didn't sound very relaxing to me. No, I wanted to go somewhere, rent one place and more or less vegetate. Looked into the Keys. Didn't quite grab me, but it got me headed in the right direction i.e.south! Ah, the web! Surfing the net I came across St. Thomas, then STJ. 70% parkland?
Some little outpost town called Coral Bay? What's this place? My cup of tea! So I started looking into finding a place to rent. Ended up calling VIVA, and though they didn't have anything for the time that we could go, a young lady who worked for them said she'd try to find us something and call me back. Seemed she was originally from MD and came to STJ on vacation 9 years previously and never left. She hooked us up with a place thru Windspree, high up on top of a mountain above Coral Bay. Mrs JT and I booked it and I don't think two people had ever been less prepared for what they were falling into. Oh my! The magic of folllowing Karen from Windspree from Cruz Bay to walking in the door of the villa and seeing the view for the first time! We spent two magical weeks. Changed my life forever.JT
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JT

Post by JT »

hey , Jorge, can't really guess. What ocean is this island in? And what did YOU do the last time you were there to make it blow it's top before you came back?
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
toni

Post by toni »

We first came to St. John in May of 1996. My mom had passed away from cancer in early 1995, and she wanted to have her ashes laid to rest at her church in Daytona Beach. Her memorial contributions went to fixing up the memorial garden at the church, and that was finished in 1996 which is when her graveside service was.

For me trip planning is a way to de-stress myself, either from work, or in this case the loss of my mom. We were like sisters. I wanted to get away somewhere after what I knew would be an extremely emotional service so I picked the islands, which seemed like the kind of relaxing place I needed.

We didn't realize until we got there how much damaged had occured in 1995 when Hurricane Marilyn had hit them. Taking the taxi from the airport to Red Hook we could see the devastation of smashed houses. We stayed at Gallow's Point and they had a picture book of what had happened. It was incredible.

But we did get the "down time" we needed, and made our 4th trip back this past December. Working on plans for the 5th trip now..... It's just that kind of place.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We went to STJ in 2005. I started to search for a Caribbean vacation in 2004. I like uncrowded places and we had been to Turks and Caicos in 1999 and it was uncrowded then, I guess it is built up now. Anyway, I was searching for a place with off shore reefs.
We almost went to STT because it seemed like there weren't a lot of places to stay on STJ and we had an all-inclusive mental block for awhile. I started lurking on another forum and decided on STJ. We loved it, especially me and I have been trying to get back there since.
I am sorry I had to miss 2006, but will make up for it by going 2 times in 2007!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My mom's former boss, who also happened to be a family friend. He travels the world diving and when I explained what we were looking for, St. John was one of three places he named. (I believe Bonaire may have been another.) We don't dive but shared a similar vacation style as Steve.

Becaue we went in the off season, Caneel's rates were reasonable (and much more affordable than now) so we stayed beachfront, which my husband jokes ruined us for life.
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

This is a bit long, so bear with me.

When I was finishing my first year of college (in the early 80s, where does the time go :shock: ) a friend of mine in nursing school had a trip planned to STT, but her friend backed out. I hopped on at the last minute and we stayed at the Virgin Isle Hotel on STT (I think it's a VA Hospital now?). When we got back from a lovely trip, my friend said "We should move there". I said, "sure", as only an 18 year old can! We moved to STT with $100 between us, had rented a house over the phone and packed our suitcase with mac n cheese. My friend got a job as a nurse at the hospital and I found work (first at Panchitas, as a cook, then Sparky's Waterfront as a bartender). I ended up staying 3 years. We both married men we met on the island. My (now ex) husband's family owned the Crazy Cow on STT (anyone remember that?) While I was there, my oldest brother came to live with me. He stayed 6 months. He died 2 years later of AIDS and I always treasure the memories of the fun we had on STT. While he was with me, another brother I had not seen is several years showed up on Back Street at 1 in the morning! With the exception of a 3 year hiatus, he has lived in the islands ever since then (for the past 20 years on St. John). It's lovely that in addition to the beauty of STJ, I also get a little family reunion and a sense of homecoming.
Paula

kirk

Post by kirk »

Pswlrw when did you live on STT? i lived there 85-87. there was many a night/early morning i crawled into the crazy cow for a bite to eat. Yesterday's was where i hungout most of the time. well, just about all the bars along back street and front st. i had my rounds to make. :D
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

My friend, Gromit, got me hooked in 2001. Hubby and I went with her and her hubby pre-kids! We returned in 2003 with another set of friends leaving our then 1 year old with gramma. Returned with Gromit and yet another set of friends and 2 KIDS in 2005.

We'll be returning in November with Gramma and the 2 kiddos. It is very cool to know that knowing STJ will be something my kids get to enjoy from a very young age. I wish someone had introduced me earlier!

I've traveled to many other islands & always find something to love in each of them & while I'll continue to explore different islands, STJ is like home. Something about it soothes the soul.
Last edited by flip-flop on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarheelgirl

Post by tarheelgirl »

Our family got a "taste" of snorkeling while down in Mexico (Isla Mujeres/Isla Contoy) a few years ago. They were just starting to build a resort at the end of Playa Norte when we left (ugh!) so we knew we weren't going back...so where to go to snorkel next???
Didn't want the Cancun experience, wanted natural beauty, snorkeling that was accessible from the shore, and white sand beaches. After MUCH research online, we narrowed it down to Caymans, Turks and Caicos, and St John. After lurking on different forums to hear glowing reports and rants, St John won. There was a love and loyalty about the island that far outmatched any other. We're heading down for our 4th visit this June and I STILL am discovering new things!
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Kirk - I sent you a PM.
Paula

KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

We had a travel agent tell us it was too difficult to get to the Virgin Islands. So in 1998 we took the family to a Barbados villa. While there I found USVI villa advertising in a magazine.

When we got home I started "surfing". I booked a villa on-line by myself for May 1999. I was terrified that I could have made a mistake, the agency was a scam,we wouldn't like it, you name it I worried about it! I had not found this or any other forum at that time.

When we arrived we took the CA ferry and as we pulled in to Cruz Bay I started to smile. By the time we got the car, saw the flowers and pastel colours in town and gasped with each new view driving to the villa, I knew I had done a good thing! We have been hooked ever since then.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I had just recently moved back in with Mom and Dad after I split with my Ex. I was working at a boring job and all my friends were either living far away or married.
I had always stayed in touch with an old boyfriend and had recently re-connected after hurrican Marilyn. He had moved to STJ a few years before with an old friend of ours.
The old BF suggested that I come and visit,so I hopped on a plane for a long weekend trip. I was hooked within minutes and before I left I made plans to move.
My parents were shocked but I was determined. I waiting until July to move since my brother was getting married in June.

July 2nd I arrived on island. Hurrican Bertha arrived July 8th. I was almost ready to get on the next plane home but I stuck it out.
Several months later I realized that the the boyfriend that used to be my ex was much better as an ex so I got my own place and stayed for 5 years.

I have been back once since I left in 2000. It is bittersweet. There is a part of my that belongs there but a part of me that knows that I could never live there again.(Unless of course, I was independently wealthy)
parafins

Honeymoon 94'

Post by parafins »

My future wife and I planed our Honeymoon in the summer of 93'.I was living with my dad at that time and dad and I liked camping.The Great Smoky Mountains was our favorite place to be!Dad just happened to have a camping magazine with a story about the National Park on S.T.J.Well ,Honey and I agreed that this was it!So in Oct. of 94'we arrived at the Hyatt.{Now the Westin}.It was love at first sight!The bug bit us both and we never recovered! :D Dappledox
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...