Diapers on island

Travel discussion for St. John
Ty311USVI

Diapers on island

Post by Ty311USVI »

Good Afternoon forum,
Do they sell diapers at the local grocery stores? Any idea if they are drastically more expensive than the mainland? We are just debating if its more cost effective to buy there or buy here and ship. Thanks for the love!
Don't worry be happy! Image
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I bought diapers on STJ at Pine Peace and the prices were slightly higher but not crazy high. Disclaimer: this was in 2007!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I vividly recall taking my first ferry ride (3 yrs ago) from St. Thomas to STJ and seeing whom I presume to be a STJ local carrying the biggest bag of diapers I had ever seen. Got me to thinking that perhaps prices were much cheaper at the big box store on St. Thomas.
~Brenda~
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

When my guy was little I discovered cvs.com They offered FREE Priority Mail shipping on orders of $49 or more to us, and they ship just about everything. Recently, they changed that policy, and now charge a minimal amount to ship, but I still come out WAY ahead.

I checked at Bayside Mini Mart and they have Huggies (the 30ish package depending on size) and they are $15. The same size at Chelsea Drug is $21. I'll check Pine Peace when I am in there. Just check out cvs.com and they are $12. The big reason people here buy on St. Thomas is because you can buy bulk. Most of the places here only have the 30ish packages and you know how quick you can go though them! cvs.com has the 60ish pack for $24.

It's pretty easy to reach the $49 mark if you throw in wipes, sunscreen, and other toiletries you might need. They also have lots of food on their site. I order EVERYTHING from CVS..batteries, shampoo, peanut butter, toilet paper, paper plates, you name it! I use a lot of CVS brand stuff. There is only one thing that I wouldn't order again. If they have CVS brand, that's what I get.

I'll try and check some other stores for ya!
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Was at Pine Peace yesterday, was surprised to see that their prices were the same as Chelsea. $21 for the 30ish package of Huggies (or other brands).
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

I think this is a new business on the island, Island Baby.

http://islandbabyvi.com/

It looks like strictly an equipment rental place, though. When our kids were little I don't think we would have considered a St. John vacation with them but we did do Florida trips at least once a year in the car. I remember the massive amount of stuff we had to take for a one week trip. So Island Baby might be an option for the rich folks here. (Looking at the price list it seems you could run up quite a tab).

Anyway, diapers seem like one item they would want to stock to make it as hassle-free as possible. Didn't see them on the list however.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Thanks for sharing the link. I hadn't heard of them...I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. My son was born here, and if it taught me anything, it taught me you just don't need all that "stuff" that seems to go with having a baby these days. Of course the basic stuff, car seat, crib, diapers, sunscreen, and for me, a backpack carrier. It's different raising a kid here. We don't go into Walmart or Toys R Us and they aren't really exposed to all the "stuff" out there. The first time he went into a store like that in the states his eyes almost bugged out of his head! Kind of the same way I feel when I go to a grocery store in the states now :lol:
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

Yikes, they need to re-evaluate their pricing. For what they're charging, you can buy and bring a lot of very compact baby travel items and still come out ahead.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

A take along thought/suggestion -

Double check me on this but I think most airlines give a free baggage allowance for a ticketed child for a stroller or carseat. Even if you aren't taking one, just fill the bag with diapers.

We travelled several times with our son's backpack carrier. I put it inside a duffle and filled the voids with diapers, wipes and extra clothing. I would gate check it because I was worried about damage to the frame.
akersten

Post by akersten »

We have a carseat bag that I usually put diapers and other bulky stuff in along with the seats. Here's what's going in our carseat bag this time:

1 Booster Seat
1 Car Seat
Swim Diapers
1 Bag Walgreen's pull-ups (got them on sale for $5 and they're fine, not as luxurious as Huggie's, but they don't leak...)
Saran Wrap
Aluminum Foil
2 Life jacket type things, similar to this(http://www.destinationwater.com/product ... asp?ID=358)
Sunscreen