MIght not be able to go

Travel discussion for St. John
Maggy

MIght not be able to go

Post by Maggy »

Due to the volcanic ash cloud over the whole northern Europe, our trip is really in danger. Airspace in most countries here is completely closed.

I posted a picture of the euruption on the OT-forum, that one of our pilots took yesterday, when flying to New York and passing Iceland. It's a cool picture.

I'm still waiting for what to happen, but they predict this could go on for several days, or weeks or worse. Don't know what to do right now, I'm just so sad. We have been planning this trip for a year.

Maggy
augie

Post by augie »

Keep your thoughts as positive as you can!

I'm looking forward to reading your reports from STJ in a few days!
Come see us!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

augie wrote: I'm looking forward to reading your reports from STJ in a few days!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Look at the photo, it's cool.
djmom

Post by djmom »

That stinks!

Cant you just scuba to St. John? It can't be THAT cold. I would think the volcano would have heated up the water some?
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jerseyjay

Post by jerseyjay »

Oh no! I can't even imagine how anxious and unsettled you must be feeling right now. We'll have to hope and pray that the volcano eases up enough for your plane to get through!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

This is horrible. Just horrible. I've been following the news on it. I know all about planning a trip for a full year...

Thinking of you.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Oh gosh I hope this isnt the case!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Going to put lots of prayers out, that somehow, you get to St. John! Couldn't they divert you South, over Africa maybe, and then West? LOL!
Seriously, we WILL pray and send your pilot lots of cyber mojo!
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

oh that sucks..so bad...I spent hours today this early am with my clients when I shouldve been packing working on their trips...I hope they go,but it remains to be seen. I am now in my hotel in JFK, everything thrown in suitcases, my plans of a leisure am to pack gone due the volanco and my many European clients. I do hope that this blows over and we can all go were we want to go.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
loria

Post by loria »

oh Maggy--that is really depressing! I hope that the skies clear and that you will be able to go--I assume that there will be a crazy backlog of folks with missed flights and hope that you can somehow get up in the cue to take off!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
loria

Post by loria »

oh Maggy--that is really depressing! I hope that the skies clear and that you will be able to go--I assume that there will be a crazy backlog of folks with missed flights and hope that you can somehow get up in the cue to take off!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I surely have you in my thoughts! Hopefully they can come with an alternative route that is safe and that will get you to STJ as planned. Best of luck!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thank you everyone for your support.

Unfortunately it doesn't look any better and I'm not sure I believe we can make it. Airspace is still closed pretty much everywhere around me no one have any prognosis when we can start to fly again.

Problem no 2 is that when it does open again, there will be as Loria said, a huge backlog in passangers that are filling the planes.

We had plans to leave on Sunday, with a flight that had seats available and since I work for an airline, we were using my staff standby tickets. So, they are pretty much useless now. Only possibility would be to buy a full fare business ticket later this week, if the flights can operate. That would NOT be cheap, it will cost as much as I planned our whole 2 weeks trip to cost in total. So, not sure it's worth it.

Maybe it's better that I try to be very nice to the owner of the accommodation I have booked and prepaid for and ask for understanding and they let me rebook to another time.

Still trying to find a solution. I haven't given up completely, but it's not looking good. It's a total surreal feeling and no one to blame. Is this really happening?

Maggy
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Oh Maggy, I am so sorry this is happening to you! I cannot imagine how stressed you must be. You should contact the property owner right away and see if they will let you rebook. If they say no it might be worth getting that business class ticket.

The odd thing I heard on the radio this morning is that the airspace is closed in Europe, but flights from Boston amd New York that are traveling directly to Iceland are still running on schedule!

I hope it clears and you get to go. There's still a few more days for the cloud to break up.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Iceland is still open. Has not been closed. Volcano is situated on southeast corner of the island and ash is blowing east. Airport is located on the west coast. Totally weird.

Here in Europe we say "Iceland, you must have misunderstood, send CASH not ASH"!!!!

And yes, I'm totally frustrated :cry: But I haven't given up yet.