dinghy snorkelling

Travel discussion for St. John
babydocwhit

dinghy snorkelling

Post by babydocwhit »

We are thinking about renting a dinghy for a day of snorkelling. What are some good places to hit on the north shore of STJ, maybe that can't be reached as easily from the land? Thanks!
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

1. Waterlemon Cay - it's the furthest point where you can take a dinghy. Really nice snorkeling out there.

2. Henley Cay - it's across the channel from STJ, but good snorkeling.
khud

Post by khud »

We dinghy snorkelled at Henley Cay last year and were really impressed. It has a small beach that came in real handy when I couldn't get back in the dinghy. :oops: Recommend renting the smaller dinghy. We also hit some of the beaches that are less easy to get to from land and snorkelled there. I've heard that Brown Bay (accessible by trail - 90 min.) has some good snorkeling too.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Ditto on Henly Cay...the best
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Where is Henley Cay? and what other islands are
out there to snorkel around going out in a dingy?
Beach Creecher
khud

Post by khud »

Henley Cay is going to be the first island you come across after you leave Cruz Bay, come around Lind point and pass Caneel beaches. You'll be able to see the small beach. Head for that and you'll see the reefs on the right curving out to you and to the left of the beach further in.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Thanks for the info. We will try it in June.
Does anyone know if there is another island going around toward Chocolate Hole to snorkel? Can a dingy
make it to Lovango?
Beach Creecher
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Wanda Creech wrote:Thanks for the info. We will try it in June.
Does anyone know if there is another island going around toward Chocolate Hole to snorkel? Can a dingy
make it to Lovango?
Aside from the distance you would have to check with the dingy company to see if they permit it, as I recall there were some areas which were prohibited. Also isn't Lovango a private island, I don't know if you would be allowed to land the dingy there.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Wanda Creech wrote:Thanks for the info. We will try it in June.
make it to Lovango?
Same thoughts as sailorgirl. The two dinghy rentals that I know of in Cruz Bay only allow their boats along the north shore. Even if you could, there are no islands along the south shore from Cruz bay to Choclolate Hole. Except for that flat strip at the outskirts of the Cruz Bay entrance.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

We have done all the north Shore beaches by boat so we were just looking for a different snorkeling spot that we can't get to by walking. My favorite part of Waterlemon is the great walk to get to it.
Maybe we will just get a bigger boat to take us to
Sandy Spit.
Beach Creecher