Newfound Bay?

Travel discussion for St. John
surfnh

Newfound Bay?

Post by surfnh »

last year on our way to the Indians, the surf was pretty high and our charter guide took a break in Newfound Bay on the east end. We thought it was pretty stunningly beautiful, looked like a sandy bottom, turtles and rays probably there. We were thinking it might be fun to do a snorkel there this year if there's some reef in there somewhere.

Has anyone tried snorkeling there before, and if so how is it?

thanks ahead.....JF
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

This is one spot I haven't snorkeled on STJ but here's a helpful link: http://www.seestjohn.com/trails_newfound.html
*Another fine scatterbrained production
augie

Post by augie »

We snorkled there while doing a daysail on Breath. Very good snorkeling indeed. Rays and turtles on the sandy parts of the bay, and some good reef snorkeling along the coast just outside of the mouth of the bay.
Come see us!
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I've snorkeled here twice from charters. It's stunnignly beautiful and so quiet just to sit there and look at the electric blue of the water. If you are on the water, facing inland, I believe the snorkeling was best over to the right. There's a few barracuda here too.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Ditto what Augie said, except no turtles when we visited. The reef is pretty long, so it's good if you have someone going with you in a dinghy.

Maggy
hugo

Post by hugo »

Great snorkeling , if you can get there by water. The owners of the entirely private property that the trail went through have shut it off and posted it---and people wonder why many long time locals don't like certain websites and guidebooks...
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

hugo wrote:Great snorkeling , if you can get there by water. The owners of the entirely private property that the trail went through have shut it off and posted it---and people wonder why many long time locals don't like certain websites and guidebooks...
Is it a long time local who owns the land and closed and posted the trail ? Because of the publicity? Thanks.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

well, it sounds like a plan. Thanks all for the feedback.....JF
hugo

Post by hugo »

Exit,
I'm not 100% sure whose decision this was, but all of that land is owned by a VI family. Some members who lived in PR have recently moved onto the land, so that may be a factor as well...however, I am personally very grouchy about the internet trumpeting of little-known places--not just because I can't enjoy them as I used to, but the inevitable changes that occur--every place starts to be the same. Does that seem horribly elitist and misanthropic of me? Sorry. I have no problem with people going to those places, I just don't think the entire computer-owning world should know how to get there.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

totally understood....in the surfing world its very common for web sites not to give every local break on their web site, only the very well known ones.....that way the local breaks are preserved for the locals.....JF
wonderlost

Post by wonderlost »

Thank you Hugo,
When I first read the subject I thought to myself when is enough, enough. There must be something left to self exploration. Not that Newfound is unknown anymore. When I first started going to spots around here like Newfound, no one was EVER there. Now, it is hard to be alone. Not trying to be one of the good ole days folks, simply I hope we can keep some secrets so that when you discover them on your own, you feel like you did something new. The hardest tourists to service are the ones that (think they) know everything.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I feel the same about Denis (not that it is the same "class" as Newfound Bay in anyway) but before the world of "put eveything out on the internet" you needed to read a book at least to find it and the other lesser known beaches and most people just don't want to take the time. Last week I drove by and there were probably 15+ cars parked, so maybe, just maybe, when asked about our "favorite" beach we should keep a few to ourselves - selfish...yes but I read time and time again visitors "complaining" (said in the nicest way possible) that their old secluded beach is no longer secluded and then I read in a t/r or in a thread how fantastic it is and how secluded it is and how they should try it on their next visit.
Just food for thought
Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

My lips are sealed. Am I the only one who is keeping the STJ secret?
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

for all the newbies out there, the best beach on STJ is......the Westin..... :)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

surfnh wrote:for all the newbies out there, the best beach on STJ is......the Westin..... :)

Hehe :lol: :lol:
[/url]