Dependable Car Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Dependable Car Rental

Post by RickG »

Gang, I'm looking at my first St. Thomas/Car Barge to St. John exercise for April 29-May 4. The quote of $468 from Dependable is okay, about the same as Conrad's. What do y'all do for insurance with Dependable? They charge $24.95 per day for $2,000 deductible. Conrad includes insurance with a $1500 deductible. The St. Thomas car rental is starting to look pretty expensive...

Cheers, Rick
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Hi Rick,

Did you check with your car insurance company at home to see if you're covered? If you're not covered there, you should check with your Visa credit card company and see if you're covered.

I do hear great things about Dependable (on several travel boards). We're using them in June.

Carole
RickG

Post by RickG »

SoCaTraveler wrote:Hi Rick,

Did you check with your car insurance company at home to see if you're covered? If you're not covered there, you should check with your Visa credit card company and see if you're covered.

I do hear great things about Dependable (on several travel boards). We're using them in June.

Carole
Ya, they suggested I call both. If something happens, it's a pain to work through a third party to get the vehicle fixed. I'll re-post when I get the results of the queries.

Still, renting a car on St. Thomas is not a bargain. If we had a big group and needed to get the grocery shopping done on the way it would make a difference. I'm leaning towards our usual Conrad and Carmen on STJ. They take good care of us.

R
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

We've always counted on our own insurance and CC as the secondary policy. Bob recently had an accident with a rental car when he was travelling on business in Houston. Our insurance paid all the costs except the deductible and the CC company paid the deductible, there was little we had to do.

Did you make your Dependable reservations online to get their discount?
Bob & Anita