Cape Air?

Travel discussion for St. John
snorkel queen

Cape Air?

Post by snorkel queen »

Anyone ever fly Cape Air? How big are the planes? Is it true that carry-ons are not allowed or am I missing something?
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We flew them several years ago and as I remember, it isn't that carry-ons are not allowed so much as everything is stowed. My wife's pocketbook or personal bag was stowed in the wing. I could be wrong but I think the aircraft carried 5 or 7 passengers + the pilot. One lucky passenger gets to sit in the copilot's seat.
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

Great airline....yes they fly small airplanes, but they have good dependable aircraft. They have been around for years....starting in Mass flying between Boston and the Cape..... and the pilots are excellent. The TV show "Wings" was based on this airline. If flying in small airplanes is not your thing, then probably you should go with American....but...they are very good airline.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Here's Cape Air. We loved it! :D

If you're the first one on, you can get the co-pilot's seat (the red haired girl).

Last edited by California Girl on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugo

Post by hugo »

I agree...they are actually my favorite airline these days, with the demise of service on jetliners. Great attitude, little planes.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

California Girl wrote:If you're the first one on, you can get the co-pilot's seat (the red haired girl)
My experience with these types of flights (Air Flamenco, Air Sunshine) is that they ask everyone their weight, and then they distribute everyone with the heaviest in the middle of the aircraft, and smaller folks in the front and back. They load the plane to spread out the load - if you will. I love flying in these little planes, and I believe they're considered to be quite safe.

Lovermont
Last edited by Lovermont on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bevm

Post by bevm »

I was stoked because I sat in the back by myself meaning I weighed less than everyone else on the plane!!!!
I was nervous but what a great flight. You get to see each of the islands...and it's cool when the pilot turns around and says to everyone, "Hi, my name's Chris and I'm your pilot...."
snorkel queen

Post by snorkel queen »

Thanks all. I feel so much better now! Cape Air it is. The pics are great!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Count me as another fan of Cape Air. More pics...

This is returning to San Juan from St Thomas...Water Island in the foreground and airport upper left, ship in Crown Bay Marina

once you get up to cruising altitude you get to see lots of this...
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

I have only flown with them once...I am not a fan of flying, much less the smaller aircrafts, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get to the islands :D
Getting in the plane I thought, oh dear...it was very small inside..however, we did have a good, smooth flight so I was happy about that, and the views were amazing...
One thing I like about American Eagle's planes which are a little bigger, and fly a little higher, is that by time you ascend, it is time to descend so it makes the flight seem very short. Love that.
I would fly Cape Air again...I continue to hear good things about them, and they have much more availability than say, American Eagle.. Have a great trip..