Rick's St John Hideaway, a Natural Retreat

Travel discussion for St. John
Vichuga

Rick's St John Hideaway, a Natural Retreat

Post by Vichuga »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me to gather some information about Rick's cottage - i searched this forum and found nothing.
Did anyone stay at Rick's Cottage in Coral Bay? This is a cottage with 3 retractable walls off Centerline road on King Hill. The owner seems to be very nice. I am just a little surprised i could not find any opinions online.
Thanks for any info.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Well this doesn't seem nice.

I like Rick.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Vichuga

Post by Vichuga »

We've never been on the island, so trying to get as much 'heads up' info as possible. It would be nice to hear from people who stayed at the cottage. We already booked it for our week on STJ. We don't want to rent a car for the whole time - did anyone else manage without the car in this location? Is it possible to walk from there to the restaurants at Coral Bay?
Thanks in advance!
lprof

Post by lprof »

I was not at all familiar with this cottage. From the website description of location (near the yogurt stand) - I would say no - walking to Coral Bay restaurants would be a very long walk, especially back up the mountain. This location is pretty much at the top and middle of the island... I would want a jeep.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Welcome to VIOL :D ! I've wondered about that place myself, and hope that you'll post a review and photos when you return. When are you going? I can't really wrap my mind around the folding wall concept, and wonder how that would work. Looks like a neat place, especially if the bugs aren't bad.
You've found the best possible source for information...
Again, welcome.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Wow !
VRBO has at least 5 times more St. John rentals listed than they did 6 months ago...most of them also handled by other agencies.
I am not familiar with this cottage, but it must be in the group of houses below the Yogurt stand. The statement on the site that it's an "easy" hike to Maho Bay seems a little weird. The return up King's Hill would only be easy for those who walk uphill frequently, which isn't the case with the average St. John visitor...
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

The description seems to me to be rather deceiving. Yes, it 'sounds' very romantic and cute but I'm not a camper so this sounds a bit too primative for me. The location is great but a Jeep is a MUST if your staying out there. The hike to the beach is not a stroll by any stretch of the imagination it's a very very strenuous hike up a very steeeeeep hill on the way back.
Vichuga

Post by Vichuga »

Well, we are probably not typical visitors - we are relatively young – late 30 – early 40 (We will celebrate my 40th birthday while on the island). Hubby is a triathlete, I like to walk and run, so a couple of miles of walk would be fine with us. We will be on the island during last week of February.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Regarding the car: One thing to consider is that if you go to the beach, you will almost certainly want to bring some stuff with you. Cooler, bag with towels/sunblock/bug spray/camera/book, snorkel gear, maybe (probably) beach chairs. Doing a walk or run for fun is alot different than walking to a beach for the day.

Even back in my triathlon days I don't think I would have wanted to schlep all that stuff from the yogurt stand to the beach. And if there is a sudden shower, will you be happy hiking back in it?

However some people are low maintenance enough that this wouldn't be a problem (I admire that.) If you still don't want to rent a Jeep, be sure to bring a roomy backpack and wear shoes like Keens that you can walk in (rather than flip flops.) We saw someone with a cool backpack that was made to hold snorkel gear, with a special pocket for the fins.

As for walking back from a restaurant at night, in the dark on Centerline Rd, that wouldn't be for me.
jan

Post by jan »

The Eight Tuff Miles race is on St John on Feb 27th. This is a fun race that goes from one side of the island to the other.Great way to experience St John. I think the website is www.8tuffmiles.com Might be right up your alley.
Vichuga

Post by Vichuga »

Thanks for your input. It just seems such a waste of money to rent a car for a couple of short drives – from the cottage to the beach, from the beach to the eating place and back. We plan on renting a boat for one day, go sailing for a day, so will not need a car on those days. Did anyone use bus transportation to Coral Bay?
Vichuga

Post by Vichuga »

Wow! The race looks cool! We'll check it out!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

We rented a boat one day, and still were glad to have a car. We were due in Cruz Bay by 8:45 for the boat (stayed in Coral Bay) and wanted to be a bit early to have some coffee and pick up some sandwiches. Maybe someone who lives on island can comment on the bus schedule and the reliability of the bus. Plenty of people hitchhike, too, but that of course can't be scheduled.

We also had a couple days when we changed our mind about what beach to visit based on the current conditions (large swells on the north shore.) One morning we got to Maho and the water was so close to the trees that we zipped over to Francis instead. Other days we went to south shore beaches because of the north shore swells.

For us, the flexibility to go when and where we want is well worth the daily cost of a car.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

I think that part of the issue you may be having regarding renting a jeep is that unless you have ever been to STJ you cannot fully appreciate the terrain there. Even if you are triathelete or you are a avid hiker the terrain is STEEP.Twisting and turning VERY narrow unlit streets-no sidewalks- and on the curves absolutely no shoulder. You combine this with locals who are familiar and comfortable driving at what seems like break neck speed and tourists who are driving slow and are often pre-occupied with the scenery. You see there's more to consider than just the distance. Restaurants & shopping may not be close to each other even in Coral Bay. The biggest factor to consider is tHat unless you don't plan on leaving your villa after dark is that all the roads are unlit. Unless you've been there nothing you read can properly prepare you for the terrain and roads in STJ. IMHO rent a jeep, you won't regret it.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

soxfan22 wrote:Well this doesn't seem nice.

I like Rick.
Sorry Vichuga! I misinterpreted your post (though it was spam). My fault...
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE