has anyone had this flu?

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

has anyone had this flu?

Post by loria »

I swear my son cannot stop coughing! NOTHING helps!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
ivegotskinnylegs

Post by ivegotskinnylegs »

Both my kids had it, the good news is that it is short-lived. Both recovered in 48 hours or less.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We're mandated starting today, to wear a respirator when within 6 feet of a patient, until we are immunized against H1N1.
I have a raging headache from this thing!
loria

Post by loria »

I meant to post this in the off topic forum--sorry.
he's had fever and this HACKING cough for 3+ days now--not a high fever, but the cough is relentless--
minde, i will do what you suggested in your PM-thanks
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

My son started with this on Sunday. Went to his football game with headache and only played 1st quarter. He just had no energy. He was sick to his stomach (got sick once), bad headache, fever (which is now gone) and now the cough. He is still laying on the couch but seems to be getting better.

Last night when he started coughing I put Vicks Vapor Rub on his feet and chest. I know this sounds weird but I found this on some website and it seems to work at least for most of the night. Give it a try it may work for you.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Loria,
My 4 year old son had that awful cough last week -it was relentless. He would hack with every breath he took. The cough lasted about 8 days and always got worse at night. Nighttime cough medicine actually worked but by 3am he was up coughing again until the next dose took effect. Don't give him milk, it makes them more flemmi and the cough is worse. Rubbing Vicks on his chest helped too. Also the pedi said to keep him from laying down prior to going to sleep for the post nasal drip. I called my pedi and because he didn't have a fever they didn't need to see him. He is still coughing a bit but he is soo much better. But now both me and my husband have it. UGH!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Was diagnosed w/ bronchitis last Tues (week ago) but still am coughing up phlegm like crazy,just won't stop. am exhausted from it. Going back to dr tomorrow to try to get some relief. Was on anti-biotic,nasal spray (lots of head congestion too),cough med w/codeine (but can only take at night,work in daytime),& inhaler to open broncho tubes. got some relief but not alot.

whatever it is,it's tough and lingers. keep mouth very well covered when cough and avoid alot of close contact w/people right now.

To all who have this,get well soon, hang in there. drink alot of water to stay hydrated.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Loria, it has made it rounds here. My nephew said he felt like he had been run over by a truck. He had body aches, fever, and coughing.

Minde, we are going to Mexico. We weren't going to get H1N1 shots for a few reasons--one being that we don't get the flu shot and haven't had the flu--I can't remember the last time. BUT now that we are going to Mexico I am considering it.

Also, my DR said that we might be immune because the "swine" flu made its rounds in the 70's and we might have gotten exposure then.

What are your thoughts?? I assume you are in the medical field but might be assuming wrong??

GG
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I don't know your risk factors, GG, so I wouldn't make a recommendation, but I think you should ask your doc about it.
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

I am home with it right now - cough cough!! :( :(
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

ccasebolt wrote:I am home with it right now - cough cough!! :( :(
Feel better soon. Know what you are going thru.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Sorry to hear you've been sick, Debbie, and I hope you're all better soon!
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Minde are you going to get the H1N1 vacine? I have chosen not to(for now). The hospital where I work is only asking that we sign a waiver if we choose not to vacinate. Our closest competitor is making staff wear a mask for their entire shift if they choose not to vacinate. Noone is testing the vacinated staff for Anti-bodies(like they do for the HepB) so how are we even sure the vacine is protecting them. I think this alone creates some legal issues if someone wanted to challenge these mandates.
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

Found somone at BeachBar Halloween night that has the swine flu: Image
djmom

Post by djmom »

Loria, hope he is better by now.

There are two children at our church that are very sick- one in the hospital. A friend's son was also hospitalized recently-he is ok now.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."