Travel w/ family- St Thomas or St John?

Travel discussion for St. John
allie

Travel w/ family- St Thomas or St John?

Post by allie »

Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum ( was a lurker!)
Next year my husband & I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary- 15 years ago we were married in St Thomas at Frencman's Reef/Morning Star. We had a beautiful wedding and honeymoon. We would like to go back next year to celebrate with our children 8 & 11. Would you go back to St Thomas or St John and visit St Thomas? We have not been back since. Kids love beaches/snorkeling. I do like the idea of staying in a villa in St John- what are your thoughts?
Thank you so much!
RickG

Post by RickG »

My kids love St. John. They are 9 and 15 now. We have stayed at Maho Bay with them and villas. The villa with a swimming pool is by far their favorite. We took a big family group this past Thanksgiving and all of the kids had a blast just spending the day on the beach and snorkeling.

You'll need to get a St. Thomas opinion from someone else. For me, St. Thomas is just the airport for St. John.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
bill

travel w/family

Post by bill »

my vote is for st john! have been going there for over 10 years, our children were little at the time. they loved it! beaches are all wonderful for kids. you can pick a different one each day.

we have rented everything from villas to condos. get one with a pool, the kids will love that too. Have fun! i would rent near cruz bay, as kids get bored and they like to walk around cruz bay. lavender hill is within walking distance,and they have a two bedroom condo which we rented. view is great from the deck.pleanty of space, nice and clean too. I thought is was a good rental for a family. let me know if i can be of further help.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

We spent our honeymoon on STT and because of that – STT will always be special. So what we do now is spend our time on STJ and always spend a day or two on STT at the end of our trip.

The benefits are:
• We enjoy STJ and our villa.
• At the end of our trip we stay on STT and visit all the places we did during our honeymoon. Reminiscing is a good thing.
• We do our last minute shopping on STT.
• It’s easier to get to the airport when you leave.

Consider staying a day or two on STT – you’ll love it.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I'm with Rick G on this one, STT is just a stop on the way to STJ as well as a day or two of jewelry shopping. Not that STT doesn't have alot to offer, it does. I just enjoy the peace and serenity and the "wild" side that STJ offers. But it's not for everybody. I am a tye dyed STJ junkie so my 411 is definitely biased but IMHO there's no better place on earth for downtime! Plus I like having my own villa and pool. Of course you can rent villas on STT as well, if that experience is what you want.

There's just something to be said for yielding to donkeys, goats and chickens in the road. Kids get a kick out of that! You definitely don't encounter wild donkeys in the daily commute here at home!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

We just returned from St. John on Sat. We took our daughters - 8 and 12 yrs old, and rented a villa w/another family (3 girls-11,10,3). The kids absolutely loved it!

We've been to other islands and to Atlantis in the Bahamas 3x. The girls always loved Atlantis, but having asked them whether they'd choose St. John or Atlantis, it was St. John hands down!

They loved choosing the "next" beach to go to each morning. With so many beaches available, it was hard to choose. The snorkeling was amazing for them. The 12 and 11 yr old girls were heard saying, while snorkeling, "I feel like we're on the Discovery Channel!" Renting the villa was much better than a hotel room. The kids had lots of room to spread out while the parents vegged out in the great room. Our villa had two pools, which we thought originally was really a necessity, however, we stayed at the beach so long, the only time the girls used the pool was for a quick dip after the beach and before hitting the showers.

We've never taken them to St. Thomas so I can't really compare the two, but I'd take the kids back to St. John in a heartbeat. In fact, we're already planning our next trip, just like all the other 1st-timers upon their return...I'm so predictable!
allie

Post by allie »

Thanks for all the advice!!
I think we will stay on St John and take your advice FlaGeorge and spend time on St Thomas end of trip for a day or two.
They will love seeing the donkeys & goats in the rode!
The kids also love exploring new things, so I think a different beach each day is perfect! They also like the idea of staying in a villa with their own pool. Are past vacactions to the caribbean/mexico have all been at resorts so I would like something different!

I have started looking at villas to get an idea of what is out there even though our trip is not until next July/Aug ( I admit I am an obsessed trip planner). Any recommendations for a villa for 4 with a suitable layout with the kids & with a pool? Our budget for the villa is between $2500-3000 for the week if possible.
Bill- I will also look into the condos you recommended at Lavender Hill.
Thanks again!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I like Dolphin Run through Caribbean Villas. It is an inexpensive villa when you have only 4 people. They may not charge for kids. Fees are based on head count. I make some comments on Dolphin Run in my most recent trip report, November 2006.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... olphin+run

Cheers, RickG
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I like Cygnus if you are talking 2007 and it has openings or Allesandra if you are talking 2008 2007 is booked But both I think would fit your family
Tom
allie

Post by allie »

RickG- Thanks for the link to your trip report- great pictures & report. I Dolphin looks like a good choice- but I would be afraid of no A/C in the summer- what do you think?

Tom- thanks for your suggestions of both Cygnus & Allesandra- both look great - I will add them to the list!
RickG

Post by RickG »

The breeze through Dolphin Run was strong enough to knock things off the dresser. But, you like it cold then go for A/C. I'm not an A/C person. It reminds me of too many nights in business hotels.

Cheers, RickG
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

I like Calicaribe - http://www.calicaribe.net/index.html.

the floor plan is interesting -
1MBR in the main house w/ large bath and garden shower - deck
1 twin bed in the office connected to the MBR in main house
1 queen in the pavillion across from the pool (private bath and balcony)
1 apartment under the pool pavillion - I think it has a queen bed. I know it has its own kitchen and bath - and balcony.

Location is great - close to Cruz Bay (5 mins), yet, secluded.
High End furnishings.
Gourmet Kitchen.
Lovely Pool with view from pool.
Outdoor dining on deck.
Privacy.
Last edited by Bluwater on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluwater
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Bluwater - I like the way that villa looks!!!! Are you planning another trip?!??!!? If so, can't wait to see your next trip report! Loved the last one!!!

nothintolose
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Hi nothintolose.

I am leaving for STT in 2 days. Will not be staying on STJ during this trip, but will ferry over on several occasions - for sure! Can't wait to see the STJ gang and get to some of the beautiful beaches and yummy restaurants.

Trip report is coming!

Calicaribe was a wonderful vacation villa! Perfect in so many ways.
Bluwater
allie

Post by allie »

Thanks Bluwater for the recommendation- Calicaribe looks wonderful, it is a bit more $ than I would like to spend--but I will keep it in mind!