Influx of Lionfish a Threat to Native Marine Life

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Influx of Lionfish a Threat to Native Marine Life

Post by Anthony »

Fairly alarming story from the Source this morning:

"August 23, 2009 — The invasion of local waters by the Indo-Pacific lionfish was termed “scary” by experts at three workshops on St. Croix over the weekend.

Lad Akins, an expert from the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF), said V. I. residents should be concerned about the invasion because it will affect everyone who lives, works or just visits the Virgin Islands.

“We don't have anything against this fish,” Akins said. “It just doesn't belong here.”

More here: http://stthomassource.com/content/news/ ... xperts-say
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
augie

Post by augie »

We've been carefully "harvesting" them here in Florida, to try and keep them from proliferating. There's even a multi-page tongue in cheek thread on a scuba forum I frequent on "Lionfish Recipes"
Come see us!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

There needs to be a bounty in the VI for these aliens.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Last summer, Captain Phil told us that if we ever see one to kill it on the spot.

I agree.
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Not sure if the average snorkeler should be trying to kill a lionfish as that will most likely land them in an urgent care facility. Reporting it would probably be better advice.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

When I was in the Abacos last year, there was much talk about how lionfish had become an invasive species.

You would think that, w/ the VI surrounded by blue i.e. deep) water, propogation of lionfish wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe someone got tired of maintaining them in their aquarium? (Ala Burmese pythons in Florida Everglades.)
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

Has anyone seen a lionfish while snorkeling?
I had read why fish do not like to eat them, as they have multiple spines and that is not good for the other fish

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
mit43

Post by mit43 »

I put the phone contact number in my phone's memory so I can call if I see one.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

In response to designbyroe, I have never seen a lionfish off the USVI while snorkeling or diving. Anyone else?

Cat
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am surprised that Captain Phil recommended killing them. That's not a good idea unless you know what you are doing. I suppose if you had a speargun with you, maybe, but that's not a standard tourist snorkeling accessory. :lol:

I have not seen one, and I hope I don't. There were signs at the beaches in Bermuda warning about them being in the waters close to shore. They really seem to be enlarging their territory.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

liamsaunt wrote:I am surprised that Captain Phil recommended killing them. That's not a good idea unless you know what you are doing. I suppose if you had a speargun with you, maybe, but that's not a standard tourist snorkeling accessory. :lol:
Phil, as you can imagine, was being slightly tongue in cheek. But, it's a good point. they're an invasive species and if you spot them, you should let someone know about it...or whip out the trusty speargun. You don't carry one with you everywhere? How ever do you buy tomatoes at the supermarket?
MrB

Post by MrB »

liamsaunt wrote:I suppose if you had a speargun with you, maybe, but that's not a standard tourist snorkeling accessory.
Spearfishing in the park (where most snorkel) is not permitted.
augie

Post by augie »

MrB wrote:Spearfishing in the park (where most snorkel) is not permitted.
But officer - I just bring the speargun along for protection from sharks or in case I see any of those pesky and threatening lionfish.

These lobsters? They just happened to get in the way of what I was shooting at, and I thought that it was far more humane to not let them suffer a slow, underwater demise...
Come see us!
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

OMG, can you just imagine what would happen if snorkelers and divers took along spear guns?! It's bad enough worrying about Jetskis overhead.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Just bust off a chunk of Elkhorn and beat the sucker to death.