What would you tell a friend to do

Travel discussion for St. John
djmom

What would you tell a friend to do

Post by djmom »

if they were coming over for one or two days from St. Thomas (Marriott).

They have a car, not a jeep.

I was thinking of suggesting Cinnamon for a day (just because I think their food is better). Then I was going Trunk. Then I am thinking Maho is really lovely.

Then I am thinking of just telling them to do the Lind Point trail and do Soloman, Honeymoon and then end at Caneel for lunch, take a taxi back to the start.

What do you think? They will have snorkel gear, but I am not sure how good they are at it or if even the husband has done it before.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
djmom

Post by djmom »

they are also willing to take the people ferry. I was a little nervous about a car...and I don't know their rental policy about that either.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

If they are OK with the car, I would recommend Maho for its vibe. They could get sandwiches from Marina Market in Redhook and pack a cooler to take to Maho. Chairs too? If the car is not an option, then Trunk or Cinnamon for easy Taxi availability.
djmom

Post by djmom »

so a car is going to be ok...? even the little switchback after Cinnamon?
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

djmom wrote:so a car is going to be ok...? even the little switchback after Cinnamon?
We've rented a car a couple of times and we never had a problem with any of the main roads on STJ including the Northshore Road.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

No car and they will appreciate the non hassle. Buy the sandwiches as CG said at Marina Market. They make some great ones. Take the ferry over and from there take a taxi to Caneel and walk over to Honeymoon. The taxi from the dock to Caneel is the least expensive and a great destination. My only other beach suggestion would be Hawksnest.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

When we were there last time, taxis were taking the cruise ship people as far as Maho. (Thank goodness they didn't drop anyone off when we were there, but they were looking for people to pick up.) Not sure how much that costs, but we were told it was to help ease the crowding at Trunk. So, really it sounds like any North Shore beach would be an option.

Not sure if I'd never driven on STJ if I'd want to drive a car much past Trunk, but I'm a driving wimp.

I'd probably take the people ferry, taxi to a nearby beach and hang around in Cruz Bay a little.
khud

Post by khud »

My vote for a beach is Maho, since it tends to be less crowded and the snorkeling is easy and varied.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I would recommend:

The first day trip do not bring the car. Ride the ferry over get off and walk down the beach and rent a dinghy for the day. Do the beaches on the north shore. Finish the day with a Woody's Happy Hour or Beach Bar Jazz day if it is Sunday. Life is good...

Second day trip drive out to Anaberg walk the ruins and then snorkel Waterlemon. If time remains stop back at their favorite beach on the north shore. Beach Bar for a Bushwacker and home

Two great days IMHO
Have a happy!