Tennis anyone?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Terry

Tennis anyone?

Post by Terry »

Sports seems to be a topic here every so often.
Is anyone glued to the tv today watching the men's finals at Wimbledon? Roddick and Federer are duking it out. Did anyone watch the sister act for the women's finals?

Any tennis freaks out there? If so best match watched of all times?

What level? 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0...and if you're rated after that...you don't count! Sorry.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I missed the sister act. Kind of predictable, so I wasn't too interested. I love the mens more than womens anyway. I'd like to see Andy win, but I've alway been a Roger fan. Such a nice, classy guy, with rarely an outburst and such a consistant talent.

My favorite match of all time??? Couldn't say, but the most emotional for me was Agassi's last.

I'm rated 3.5, but with my history of back problems, I'm playing at a 3.0 level, when I do get to play. I really need to get back to lessons and step up my game. Backhand slice needs to be more consistant.
Terry

Post by Terry »

3.0 here. Won several State titles in doubles and mixed doubles until my hip replacement surgery 3 years ago. Haven't picked up a racket since but this year is really hounding at me to get my racket restrung and find someone patient enough to hit with me again. I miss it so.

Met Billy Jean King walking in Hawaii and had a great conversation with her on the street.

I'm voting for Roddick also....we're on tape delay.
Last edited by Terry on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I've never won any titles of any kind. Tennis is really popular and competitive around here. In fact, the higher the level, the less fun it can be. Women can be wicked on the tennis court. I think the most fun I had was the beginner stage, when we did more laughing than playing.
Terry

Post by Terry »

So agree with that. Had the most fun playing mixed doubles because women's league can be so bad.

At least having a guy as a partner is fun! And when the opposing guy kept hitting toward me, the girl, we'd signal to switch courts and throw him off totally.

Such a fun sport.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I so agree....it's the best participation sport and so darned much fun if you're a really competative person. I've built a lot of characher along the way. :roll:
jmq

Post by jmq »

Great match, but for me, that five set match at Wimbledon that Federer had with Nadal just last year was more dramatic. Roddick will have nightmares about that failed high backhand attempt up 6-5 in the second set. Yikes.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

I'm a tennis freak!

So far this year, I've been on 8 leagues...and we still have the fall combo to go. I play on Mississippi & Arkansas leagues since I live on the border of the two states.

I just started playing 2 years ago and got bumped up to 3.0 from 2.5 this year. I'm going to John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch in New Braunfels, TX for Labor Day weekend. My tennis bestfriend & I went there last Labor Day, too.

I took my racquet to St. John in 2007 & did drills at Caneel Bay.

I love tennis.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Kellyanna,
But wait...aren't you the famous pole dancer? :lol:

Have you ever tried combing the two sports?

It could be the next "extreme sport"!
:wink:
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

Terry! :oops: :oops: Ok, maybe I'm just a....freak.

Hopefully, I'm a better tennis player than a pole dancer.

Don't know if I could do both. But I certainly have overserved myself enough adult beverages while playing tennis to give it a try.

Let me know if you plan to attempt combining the two any time soon.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Terry,

Wasn't that match great? Wow. I missed the women's final, but the Serena's semi-final match was outstanding, too.

I am a big tennis fan and play regularly (though I am not playing quite as much as Kellyanna...Kellyanna where do you find that much time for 8 leagues!).

I am currently rated a 4.0. Had been a 4.5 a few years back, but I don't play much competively anymore...prefer to play fun tennis with the girls. Playing on a USTA team this summer...lots of fun, so far!