Searching for Cuban Sandwiches

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
pipanale

Searching for Cuban Sandwiches

Post by pipanale »

I was down in Crystal River, FL on Friday/Sat picking up a car from my father in law. Needing to escape the Old People House of Doom, we went to breakfast on Saturday

http://www.cravingsonthewater.com/index.html

Imagine a bar/restaurant on the water in FLA that had a little Beach Bar and a little Skinny's in it. But, had a Cuban charm all its own.

Nothing beats the Old People Blues like 1/2 a Cuban sandwich and 1/2 a breakfast sandwich (eggs and Chorizo) while watching the dive boats go out.

Should you ever be trapped in Podunk, FLA, hit Cravings on the Water. Have a Cuban.

My search for the World's Best Cuban Sandwich, currently has a leader. The search is in no way over, but it's a fun search to be on. It requires good weather and water usually...I like those things
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

I don't know about the other places but the Cuban Sandwiches at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival are da' bomb! Kellyanna can attest to that; she's addicted. Just had one yesterday myself.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

We went to a sort of "Cuba in the 50s" fundraiser in the South End of Boston Saturday night. I didn't expect the food to be very good--catered food often isn't--but this food was exceptional and one of the best items was tiny Cuban sandwiches, the size of half-dollars. What a great idea for an hors d'oeuvres. I'll be making those, for some party one of these days.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Maryanne wrote:tiny Cuban sandwiches, the size of half-dollars. What a great idea for an hors d'oeuvres. I'll be making those, for some party one of these days.
Oh Lord...I could see me slaving in the kitchen to make a slew of these only to have Foodasaurus (What I lovingly call my pregnant wife these days) come through, unhinge hew jaw and then dump the whole platter into her mouth.

That sound like fun.

To SJ: It's a nice enough area, but it's just too weird for me. Between the old people and the odd native Floridians (who have spent too much time in the sun around old people)...it's a very strange place to be.
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

Nothintolose, I agree with Jazz Fest Cuban sandwiches. I haven't had anything like them since last year. I don't know how many I had that weekend.

BTW, On Monday, I had the crappiest Cuban sandwich at STT waiting for my flight. And it was $9.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Kellee's crappy Cuban sandwich on the left w/ fries. Rick's crappy Turkey Panini above that and my crappy cheeseburger...which had to hold me all day! STT airport food... uh...yuck! :lol:

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Kellee - the Cuban Sandwiches at Jazz Fest were awesome as usual and only $6...they were even better followed by Margo's favorite...the white chocolate bread pudding!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Connie

Post by Connie »

Pip, you can really make them yourself!

You have to marinate the pork in Mojo. It's in the mexican section of the supermarket.

And, make sure you get the right pickels.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

what are the right pickles?
California Girl

SJfromNJ wrote:CG - if you guys pooled your money, you could have had 3 liters of Cruzan and a 2 liter bottle of Coke.
That would have been a much better choice, by far! :lol:
California Girl

nothintolose wrote:Kellee - the Cuban Sandwiches at Jazz Fest were awesome as usual and only $6...they were even better followed by Margo's favorite...the white chocolate bread pudding!
Don't make me post more Caribe pictures, Elizabeth! :lol:
Connie

Post by Connie »

The pickels have to be sweet ones, like the ones on McDonalds hamburgers, sliced thin.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

My brother lived in Little Havana in Miami for two years. Yes, indeed, the best Cuban is at this little all-night diner on Calle Ocho, the name of which escapes me right now. And it was $2.95.

I will know where it is about this time three weeks from now, because I will be having one on my "I can't afford to go to St. John right now so I'll sleep on my brother's couch and go to South Beach" vacation.

Surprisingly, the best Cuban sandwich in Nashville is not at the Cuban restaurant, but at Cheesecake Factory. Seriously, it's as good as the ones made by real Cubans.