Flight from San Juan

Travel discussion for St. John
jhillss

Flight from San Juan

Post by jhillss »

I read on a website that flights from San Juan to St. Thomas can be an adventure and to try and avoid flights with connections through San Juan. Can anyone give me some additional information concerning why I should avoid St. Juan?
LMarie

Post by LMarie »

We've only been to STJ twice, but went through SJU each time and didn't have any problems. We usually fly AA from Philly and most of their flights go through SJU, so we don't really have many options.
LMarie
RickG

Post by RickG »

Tight connections can mean lost luggage going through SJU. We try to leave at least 90 minutes if we are checking bags through. If you get on an AA puddle jumper you'll need to gate check your carryon-legal rollaboards, and there is not always space/weight allowance for all of the passengers' luggage. That being said, we've only had one problem - Sweet Christine's first visit.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

San juan is the connector for pretty much all of the Caribbean. Folks there are very much in island time mode.

Seating areas are crowded, not enough seats, it's generally hot and stuffy. Flights are often delayed and you're most likely gonna be on one of those puddle jumpers (almost guaranteed).

I also find that the dining options are pretty limited and not so great but that's just me. Although if you look hard enough you can get a decent Cuban sandwich -- but that's relative.

They also have a tendency to pack you in said puddle jumper and then move away from the gate only to sit there on the tarmac (the airlines trying to improve their on time stats).

I think the worst for us one time was cramming on the plane and then sitting for about an hour roasting on the tarmac. Even with the windows closed it was pretty miserable. Think roasted sardines.

The good thing about SJU is that the last leg to STT is really short.

All this being said we've never personally had any issues with lost luggage. But we have had issues with delays. I generally hate those little planes.

Personally, all things being equal, I try to go thru Miami (on AA) or Atlanta (Delta) from the East Coast.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I flew out of San Jaun to St Croix a couple years ago...I would not do it again...I was with a co-worker that had been going to St Croix for years...thankfully, because I would not have found the gate...and on top of that my luggage was lost. According to a gentleman that has lived on island his entire life, San Juan and St Croix airports do NOT get a long...so there are lots of cases of "lost luggage"...Now, I don't know about Flying from San Juan to STT...but I will never connect through San Juan for any VI trip ever again!
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

If you happen to be on or near a flight that is departing to Orlando its pretty much unbearable. A bunch of screaming small people heading to the mouse....or visit relatives....or both.

Yeah, and there is not much in the food dept either.

We avoid SJU for these reasons. Would much rather connect in MIA. Its at least civil there and you have a pretty good shot at your luggage making it.