Car Barges

Travel discussion for St. John
vav

Car Barges

Post by vav »

Can anyone tell me how many car barges are running?
We are arriving on the 27th of april till may 4th
just wanted to see how early we have to get to the dock for our return. Thanks
Steve
Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Steve - There were 3 running last week and we had no trouble boarding on 2 successive Saturdays - they were going back and forth continuously.
vav

Post by vav »

Thanks
Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

There are three running. There is at least one leaving each dock every 1/2 hour. Shouldn't be a problem if you get there 5-10 minutes before the 1/2 hour you want to leave.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

hoosierdaddy wrote:There are three running. There is at least one leaving each dock every 1/2 hour. Shouldn't be a problem if you get there 5-10 minutes before the 1/2 hour you want to leave.
Agreed and I have never seen one leave on time
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

You never really wait more than 10-15 min. unless the line of cars gets long around "rush hour". That's when we pull out a beer. Sometimes one barge follows another so schedule is pretty loose.
podroma7

car barge question

Post by podroma7 »

Are these 3 barges owned by the same company so you can get on any of them at anytime? I thought I read somewhere that they were 3 different companies with different prices.

Also, I'll be there May 7th-11th, 2009, is that a busy time of year on St. Thomas/St. John?(we'll be going to STJ on that Saturday) We don't want to have to wait for a car barge over to STJ.
Pia

Post by Pia »

It changes sometimes hour by hour - just because there are 3 running in the morning there might be only one running in the afternoon (happened to us last time we tried to go to STT to do our monthly shop - needless to say we cancelled that trip and went the next week :))

There really is no way of knowing.

Pia
Itsstraightparadise

Post by Itsstraightparadise »

We just got home Fri am and the day we left (late 4/23) We waited on Mr. B for over an hour. We arrived at 930am and didn't push off for STT until nearly 1145. I agree sometimes it's no way to know. On the way there we had no issues. Just remember put time in the equation for "island time". It's the best way to deal with anything that comes up.